What's new

Search results

1. F

Constrain O-Ring

This is how I do it now, but it may not always be possible as the ring chamber does not always coincide with one of the other reference planes. It would be a lot handier to use the surfaces of ring and chamber directly for constraining. Also the possibility to display the central axis of...
  2. F

Useful Links

Lots of mechanical engineering information. E.g. more than 50 handy calculators http://www.tribology-abc.com/
  3. F

What hardware to buy?

The on-board series 4 graphics chip supports directx 9.0c. Good enough for small assemblies, but the larger ones are giving problems. I can not say that I am very enthusiastic over this configuration. With the new version being released soon, would it help to change to 64 bit windows?
  4. F

creating line about which a plane is drawn

Select both a plane and a line while inserting a new plane. The pop-up will show an angle field. In your case create the block around the origin and select one of the XYZ axis and planes.
  5. F

Drawing configuration replace

Sorry I do not agree with you. It is very common to have several almost identical parts, only differing on a few small details. To make a good drawing of a complex part easily takes me several hours. Making a good layout, adding dimensions, details, sections, tolerances etc. As it turns out...
  6. F

Hmm Pity :|
  7. F

It is possible to change the configuration of a part in a drawing, without having to make the hole drawing over again?
  8. F

What hardware to buy?

Looking at refresh rates Alibre is not doing a good job at all. What would be a good openGL workstation with what drivers? Is it fair to conclude that a gaming computer would be the better choice for Alibre, rather than a workstation with Cad optimised card? I found a nice test program...
  9. F

What hardware to buy?

Thx for testing. Do I understand you right that turning the accelleration on and off makes a difference. Is this.... Display properties > tab trouble shoot > hardware accelleration > slider set to full Then why does it not work on my computer, with display acceleration set to the max. I...
  10. F

What hardware to buy?

The assembly I was referring to is an imported Step file generated by Solidworks. I inserted a section view over the XY plane. Especially this section view takes up an enormous amount of time. Just loading the assembly takes 20-30 seconds. After that another 2-3 minutes just to show the section...
  11. F

What hardware to buy?

With an increasing number of elements (>100) AD becomes very slow on my Dell Lattitude 6400 notebook. Especially zooming or rotating at more than a second per refresh is anoying. Intel core 2 duo M 2533 MHz, 4Gb ram, Mobile 4 integrated graphics controller, XP prof. 32 bit For a different...
  12. F

Tips and Tricks:

Adding a hole at an existing reference If you want to add a hole on an existing plane coinciding with an existing reference, - clicking the reference (e.g. the origin) generally selects the wrong plane, - clicking the plane will add a node at an undesired position, so after hitting the hole...
  13. F

Flat pattern error acis exception

Thanks guys. So actually this is a clear bug. The most likely place for a cut is on geometric points like edges or centers. I was unable to make it work using constraints, a lot of crashes and irratic program behaviour also in the model. This is why I used dimensions to pin the hole, resulting...
  14. F

Flat pattern error acis exception

This is driving me crazy. I made a simple sheet metal with two non 90 degree bends and a couple of configurations. When I try to make a drawing of it, in unfolded state AD comes with Flat Patterns Error exception of type com.alibre. ACISException as thrown. The problem seems to be related...
  15. F

Adding a hole at an existing reference

Maybe for tips and tricks. This has been bugging me for some time. If you want to add a hole on an existing plane coinciding with an existing reference, - clicking the reference (e.g. the origin) generally selects the wrong plane, - clicking the plane will add a node at an undesired...
  16. F

Tapped Hole Controls

Look at this thread http://www.alibre.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10076&p=59216&hilit=thread+definitions#p59216 I would opt for the possibility to add a thread to the wide part of a counter hole. E.g. for the fitting of pipes or cables using gland nuts or nipples. Now You have to make two...
  17. F

Thread Hole

Added to Stephan80's the PG electric thread definitions under "user metric"
  18. F

Rotating a drawing

Sorry if I was not clear enough. The section AA is the view I want to rotate. I can see no possibility to do this. The 45 degree angle is the result of the defining section line in "View<4>" cutting through 2 holes. In Solidworks one would simply right-click the view and select "rotate view".
  19. F

PDF Publishing Wizard - Default page Layout

This problem has been bugging me for some time. If you use a portait A4 ISO template, it is possible to produce the correct pdf by changing the papersize manually to 8.27"x11.69" If you use a landscape A3 ISO template it is not possible to get a correct print at all, neither by the wizzard, nor...
  20. F

Rotating a drawing

I'm still experiencing the same problem. In my case the drawing is a section view generated by AD. It is generated under an angle since the section line itself is under an angle, but it looks very ugly. The cross hatches look like constructions lines. So what I want is to rotate the whole view...