What's new

Search results

1. T

Lost ability to pick constraint faces in secondary assembly.

Bit of a problem just happened. If I have an assembly(1) and create another assembly(2) I can no longer pick the faces of assembly 1 while working within assembly 2. Faces I would use for constrains. I can use the faces from assembly 1 to create axis and planes, I just can't select them...
  2. T

Missing Designs - But they're not!!

I get this over and over, and it really sucks. These are files I've used before, saved, and not moved or deleted the designs but when I open them after a time I get this tree of red.... I have no idea why it happens. The files are in the directory that's listed and I have to click each one and...
  3. T

Can I pick the file BEFORE standard views loads it?

I find it extremely time consuming for GM to load the main assembly file every time I want to create a view only for me to pick a sub-assembly. I'd love to be able to pick the file before GM assumes which file I want and loads the full file up. Is there a way to change this?
  4. T

Unable to toggle "snap to grid" in 3d sketch. Keyboard sho

Rarely do I use snap but I'm doing some 3d splines and it helps. The problem I'm hitting is I can't toggle the snap to grid option. I have to go into system options to turn it on. And once it's on it's still grayed out. Now I can turn the grid on/off but once I turn that off the snap to...
  5. T

Using PACKAGE between work and home?

I'm trying to figure out how to correctly use the PACKAGE utility and wonder if I could get some help here. The problem I'm running into is when I restore a package it's recreating parts and folders, and sub-folders, in new locations instead of overwriting existing files. A basic overview of...
  6. T

Why are inserted parts not centered on my cursor?

Why is it that when I insert a part it's 87' off of where my cursor is? :? I don't understand why its' 0,0,0 isn't right where my mouse is. I'm always having to zoom out to try and find my part. There a setting for this? Example.
  7. T

How do I rename an assemby and keep it refed in a drawing?

If I have a drawing file that has a 3d assembly referenced and I want to modify the assembly around but don't want to save over it, how do I "save as" so I can rename both the drawing and the 3d assembly? I can "save as" the drawing but the 3d doesn't come up as an option. I can edit the 3d...
  8. T

Can keyshot be on 2 computers for one user?

Got a new computer for home and am wondering if I'm going to be able to activate Keyshot on it. I've already got Keyshot activated on my work computer but I'm wondering if I'm going to be able to also have it on my home PC?
  9. T

Is it just me? --- Did free rotate get flipped?!?

Is it just me or did free rotate get flipped around in 2012? When I need to rotate a part around in an assembly I use the hold shift rotate to spin the part around and it seems to be working opposite how it used to be. If I hold shift to rotate a part and move my mouse pointer towards the top...
  10. T

Can I show a wireframe in a 2d drawing?

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a component show up in wire frame mode in an AD drawing?
  11. T

Export to dwg - scale question

I need to export my 2d Alibre drawing to .dwg so I can send them out and I'm finding that I'm needing to open and do some major adjustments to the drawing in ACAD before I send it out. The problem is the scaling, or rather lack there of. I have preset Alibre title blocks made up and that are...
  12. T

Creating 2d Symbols --- How do I set an anchor point?

Having a bit of a problem setting an anchor point when creating a 2d symbol from an imported .DWG. It keeps defaulting to 0,0. Which would be fine if I could easily find 0,0 in the drawing.......(The only way I've been able to find 0,0 is to draw a box then move it to 0,0....Is there some other...
  13. T

Naming new parts - only one way?

Is there a way to name new parts in the assembly WHEN YOU MAKE THEM and not wait till you do a SAVE AS? This kinda coincides with another thread about the SAVE AS defaulting to MY DOCS. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12065 I don't think I'd have a problem just doing a SAVE AS to name my new part, but...
  14. T

2011 Constraining = Crash

Having a little problem here when attempting to constrain parts within an assembly. Alibre seems to go into a loop, the screen fades out, locks up and becomes unresponsive. The only way to shut it down is to force quit it in the task manager. This is happening about every 6-8...
  15. T

2d dwg problems -- I can't do what!?!?! [update]

UPDATE:::: OK, the boss talked w/ tech support and I think we've got it figured it out. You've got to make the 2d dwg into SYMBOLS Step 1: IMPORT your dwg into a new drawing. Step 2: ACTIVATE 2d Sketch on sheet Step 3: CREATE CUSTOM SYMBOL Step 4 : Select all, save symbol. Step 5...
  16. T

Where's the 2d HATCH!?!?!

I need to show a pit I've just drawn in the ground buried in concrete but I can't seem to find anyway to fill a square. Please tell me there's a 2d hatch fill and I'm just over looking it. Tony
  17. T

Click NEW PART --> "This is not a valid file name"

For my latest problem...... My boss's Alibre laptop is popping up a small box that in it says "This is not a valid file name" when he's in assembly mode and he clicks on Insert new part. And I'm not sure if it's just one box either. He's having to click "OK" or "X" seven to ten times before...
  18. T

BOM row text -- Please tell me I can wrap the text.

We're adding descriptions to our parts and there's quite a bit of info but we're needing to fit all the info into one column. When I make a BOM I get a nice LONG string but am unable to adjust the column width and wrap the text. Am I missing a simple command or is it impossible to set my BOM...
  19. T

My assembley's parts are strewn out all over the place.

I've got a slightly gigantic problem here. My boss, the owner, drew up this assembly over the weekend and when he opened it up this morning he got this. As you can see parts are all over the place and also some are rotated by 90 degs. This is not a good thing. :shock: I'd like to find...
  20. T

"Save all as" drastically increases my part file sizes?

I'm seeing a giant increase in file size if I do a "save as all".........this normal? For example I've got a 1" 90, the original part size was 527K. If I do a simple assembly and do a "save as all" that 1" 90 is now 2,243K Another 2" tee went from 318K to 1,212K Why? Is there some way to...