What's new

Search results

1. F

Sheet Metal Cuts not working?

I'm trying to create, for want of a better description, an engraved sheet metal surface. I've reviewed the posts on Sheet Metal Engraving, but in those examples the cuts are made all the way through the material, and then filled, or thickness is added by joining the sheet metal part with a...
  2. F

No Solid Body for .stl part imported apparently w/o error

I've imported a .stl file. (attached) it appears to import without any errors/comments. except that it's color is red. (which can be changed - but that's an artifact) an attempt to add this part to an assembly results in an empty part outline (a rectangular box). viewing/analysis -> check part -...
  3. F

comparing tohsiba S55-C5274 and HP ENVY 15-k163cl

the two laptops are approximately the same price. the toshiba is at staples, on sale. the hp is at best buy, refurbished. both come with 12gb ram and 1tb hard disk. biggest difference between the two is that the toshiba has a core i7-5500u (2 cores) cpu mark 3938 while the hp has a core...
  4. F

Combine multiple Autocad drawings into one .ad_drw?

I have a set of autocad .dwg files (or .dxf files) that I would like to manage as a document SET. I can import any ONE .dwg file and it creates a GD.ad_drw file for it. Import creates new .ad_drw files for each file I want to import. what I want is one .ad_drw file with multiple sheets...
  5. F

Can't bring up GD - Get Cad Viewer Instead

Yesterday (3/11/15 - 10am EST) I encountered long delays in bringing up GD. This morning (3/12/15 - 9:45am EST) I'm not only encountering long delays, but when it comes up it's coming up as Geometric Design - CAD Viewer and the 5 options (part/sheet-metal/assembly...) are grey'ed out and have...
  6. F

Save Operation Encountered Error: File in Use

I've imported a file, without errors when I attempt to save this file I get an error however, I have 93 gb of free space on the system disk. when I use explorer to look for the file referenced I cannot find it in the list of files in the cited directory. what do I try next? Frank Pirz Media...
  7. F

trying to give different sections of a part different colors

The attached part has two different sets of extrusions. ribs - going vertically rings - going horizontally I'd like these to be colored differently so that when I overlay a third sketch and take a screen print it's easy to see where the parts align with respect to the 3rd sketch this is a...
  8. F

unable to constrain parts

I'm trying to add a part to an existing assembly i've selected a pair of edges that are supposed to mate. but the constraint window doesn't appear to want to recognize the edges. zip files attached Frank Pirz Media Conversions
  9. F

enforcing design 'locality'

first, here's the problem.. I go to a directory where I've got an existing part and open it up. perhaps I make changes & want to save the part under a new name. sometimes the "save as" file is using the directory where the part file was opened. [that's locality] sometimes it's using the last...
  10. F

.iges/.stp import fails - no faces to stitch

I have a 2D file in both .iges and .stp formats. I get the error message: File Import has Errors ACIS ERROR_IMPORT_NO_FACES Import file has no faces to stitch. see IGESImport.log for details. I get the error even when I set the Face Processing option to None. Copy attached It's a 2D file - I...
  11. F

why I try not to be a "pioneer"

If you don't know how to tell who is a "pioneer" the usual method is to look for the person with all the arrows in their back. :-) Back on 3/11/14 I got the email notifying me that the first release of Geomagic Design (GD v16) was available. I was running Alibre Design (AD v14) at the time, in...
  12. F

Loft Cut - possible to constrain to a curved surface?

I'm trying to do the 3d design for the following part and I'm reaching the limit of my design experience. the part has a symmetrical bezel on the curved surface. if it were a rectangular part I'd do sketches for the front & back surfaces and do a loft cut and be done. I can create a 3d sketch...
  13. F

cutting a complex design into a curved surface

I'm trying to cut the following pattern into the surface of a cylinder. one point to note, I'd like what look like channels in the flat version to be half circles for the channels that run along the length I can insert a plane at the start point, draw a circle on the plane and then extrude cut...
  14. F

"unable to determine a solution"

I'm trying to measure the angle between two lines, not change it. after selecting the two lines and sweeping out an arc, I get a measurement. when I attempt to 'accept' the measurement displayed I get the "unable to determine a solution" error message... in the attached sketch, the line in...
  15. F

point import coming out wrong size

can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? Using the point import software by J. Renner pointed to here /viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10730/viewtopic.php but downloaded from here because the forum file seems to be missing http://www.alibre.info/zubehoer/alibre- ... index.html I then Import the point...
  16. F

flat projection of a cut cylinder

I don't have the sheet metal option. I'm trying to create the flat version of the curved surface of a cylinder that's been cut by a plane. From what I've been able to find at http://www.mamikon.com/USArticles/Rolli ... inders.pdf and http://www.bjg-design.com/designbook/pd ... _geom2.pdf the...
  17. F

loft from curved surface to curved surface

I'm attempting to create a model of a curved part shown in 2d format in the 'orig.dwg' sketch in the attached file. My problem, as a beginning 3d designer, is to figure out the easiest way to accomplish it. I've decided to break the part into sections (A thru F, top to bottom) and have started...
  18. F

Need a drop out grid on Drawing Template

background: I'm creating a drawing of nested parts for cutting on a cnc router. By using a drawing the parts get automatically updated if I make any changes. Unfortunately, the grid on a drawing is only present during sketch mode, not during placement of part instances. I created a custom...
  19. F

2d drawing of 3d surface

I've created a 3d surface by shelling a revolved shape. It's a partial cone. see the attached part. To actually make the part I need to unwrap the cone and lay it flat so I can cut the perimeter. If I had the sheet metal option what I think I would do is to convert the part to sheet metal (form)...
  20. F

construction circles

I frequently need to locate features asymmetrically around the perimeter of a circular part. While I can draw construction lines and orient them at arbitrary angles If I want all of my parts the same distance from the center the easiest way would be to draw a construction circle and then placing...