What's new

2011 install glitch

IonSteve

Apologies if this has been covered before, although I did a quick search and did not find anything. I would normally go straight to support with this, but it's the weekend . . .

Finally took the plunge and downloaded and installed 2011, build 59 for 32 bits. Install appeared to go normally, reported a successful install and made happy noises. When one attempts to actually run Alibre, however, I get the following message in a window: "Alibre Design not located in Registry: Requested registry access is not allowed."

That's all I get. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice with the same result. I tried installing to a different folder the second time (kind of a shot in the dark, I know) with no effect. This is an admin-only computer, so admin rights should not be a problem.

Your advice and insight is welcome.

Steve.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 51

rgyuka

Hi Steve,

Try CC Cleaner (free) after you uninstall. download here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

-Install the program CC cleaner.
-Uninstall Alibre
-Re-boot your computer
-Run CC Cleaner and select the 'Registry cleaner' option on the left. Be careful with the other options if you decide to try them, as once cleaning temp files I erased all my cookies & password for sites :shock: ; that was not fun!
-Just select everything it wants to fix and let it run.
-Reboot again.
-now try re-installing Alibre (I would download a fresh copy just in case something was corrupted previously)

Great little program for cleaning left over items and also making your computer run quicker I find.

Good luck,

IonSteve

Okey doke, tried all of the above . . . unfortunately to no avail. What's next on the checklist? I haven't quite started to bleed from the eyeballs yet, but it's getting a little closer.

IonSteve

Still inoperable, same error message. I have checked the version and installation of all of the ancillary software that 2011 says it needs (IE 6.0 or newer, check; .NET framework 2.0, check; Direct X 9.0c or later, check; MS Windows Installer 3.0, check).

Much time spend Googling the specific error phrase has not yielded anything I can work with.

In 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 I am now starting to bleed from the eyeballs. Any assistance is welcome. I will be on the phone to Alibre first thing tomorrow, but if anyone is brilliant in the mean time that would be wonderful.

Thanks--

Steve.

AndrewTing

IonSteve said:
Apologies if this has been covered before, although I did a quick search and did not find anything. I would normally go straight to support with this, but it's the weekend . . .

Finally took the plunge and downloaded and installed 2011, build 59 for 32 bits. Install appeared to go normally, reported a successful install and made happy noises. When one attempts to actually run Alibre, however, I get the following message in a window: "Alibre Design not located in Registry: Requested registry access is not allowed."

That's all I get. I have uninstalled and reinstalled twice with the same result. I tried installing to a different folder the second time (kind of a shot in the dark, I know) with no effect. This is an admin-only computer, so admin rights should not be a problem.

Your advice and insight is welcome.

Steve.

do you have any anti virus, security program running? did they prompt you about some file or registry access and you block it?

IonSteve

AndrewTing said:
do you have any anti virus, security program running? did they prompt you about some file or registry access and you block it?

Excellent thought. There were no prompts or popups, but just to be sure I turned off all of my security stuff and tried it again. And . . . same result. Same error message. I now have blood coming from my ears.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds weird - I think you might be best off contacting support.

One thought - have you checked that your downloaded installer was the correct size? Several times I've had downloads not as large as they should be - the weird thing is that they run and appear to install, but then don't work. Get the size by initiating another download and see what the information panel says.

ffmw

I got an error the 2nd time I tried to log on to the program 1st time was ok but that was it

Here are the details

at com.alibre.executive.license.LicenseAgent.storeLicenseKey(String key)
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.checkForNodeLicenseUpdate()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.executeLicenseKey()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.execute()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.Main(String[] arguments)

IonSteve

ffmw said:
I got an error the 2nd time I tried to log on to the program 1st time was ok but that was it

Here are the details

at com.alibre.executive.license.LicenseAgent.storeLicenseKey(String key)
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.checkForNodeLicenseUpdate()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.executeLicenseKey()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.execute()
at com.alibre.executive.Executive.Main(String[] arguments)

I must admit I don't know what to do with this information--I am not sophisticated enough to even fully understand my problem. I am much more a computer user than anything else. Is there something I can do with the above that will solve my problem or is this the nut of the problem and you are seeking assistance as well?

David--I did check the downloaded installer files for size and they appear to be intact. I scrubbed my first download and did it again from the mirror site, just in case it was something odd in the pipeline. I am now on 10+ attempts to install, trying every trick I can think of, which unfortunately not all that many tricks. It reports a successful install every time, and it looks right, but obviously isn't.

As of this moment, I've been attempting to contact Alibre tech support for about four hours. I am beginning to worry they don't love me.

ffmw

I am not sure if my problem may be related to yours but I threw it up there just incase it was. I as well have not solved my issue

IonSteve

OK, just got off the phone after 1.5 hours with tech support. They did their best but the problem remains. I think they are impressed, but in this context that is not a good thing. As we left it, they were unable to solve problem and I am back using 12.1. I've been escalated to the developer level and they are going to call me back tomorrow.

Although I am irked that this is happening, I will give kudos to Alibre that they are taking it seriously and they give every appearance of putting in thought and energy to rectify the situation. They did not do what so many other tech support outlets have done, which is to throw up their hands after the first pass and blame the user. They rolled up their sleeves and dug around in my system a bit (remote control from the Alibre mother ship) and satisfied themselves that the problem is real. I am choosing to remain hopeful that a positive outcome is forthcoming.

So, tomorrow is another day.

Steve.