What's new

2012 ribbon switching using mouse-wheel

ASP

to switch between the ribbons the mouse-wheel can be used if the cursor is in the ribbon area.

If the ribbon-bar is "folded in" via the right sided arrow-icon and is opened by clicking on one of the topics,
and then the mouse-wheel is used, it do not scroll through the ribbons.
Furthermore if the ribbons are unfold after that, the mouse-wheel switching between ribbons don't work anymore.

Can someone confirm this ?

Hallo Christian,

yes, it is!

Another question. There was so much work and time invested in the ribbons (who wanted to do this?). Why they do not contain all of the old menu items? Why do you continue to call on the Alt key, the old menu?

This is a confusing operation.

Hop

ASP said:
<snip> ... Can someone confirm this ?

Yep, that's the way it appears to "work" whether intentional or not. :shock:

I would personally prefer the mouse wheel do zoomy stuff and not mess with the ribbon, but it is what it is. :roll:

Hop

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I would personally prefer the mouse wheel do zoomy stuff and not mess with the ribbon, but it is what it is. :roll:

Just take your mouse off of the ribbon???

Another question. There was so much work and time invested in the ribbons (who wanted to do this?). Why they do not contain all of the old menu items? Why do you continue to call on the Alt key, the old menu?

2 reasons. First, we wanted to give people that wanted to continue to use the old approach the option. Second, if we put *everything* on the ribbon, it would become way too cluttered with stuff that most people don't use. So, we put the most common stuff on the ribbon and left the one-off functionality most people don't use often in the menu.

ASP

Max...
can you say something about the main topic and the issue that mouse-wheel ribbon change does not work ??

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It wasn't a feature we even knew about until you pointed it out. We license the ribbon interface from a 3rd party and so apparently it is a feature in their product. It isn't something we implemented and probably won't be something we can fix unless we talk to them.

Hop

Y'all pay attention now! If it don't cause Alibre Design to crash, lock-up, generate a <fill in color> screen of death, or some sich shenanigans, it ain't a BUG! It be a FEATURE! 'Nuff said 'bout that. Just sit back, play with your Space Navigator, tickle your mouse, admire the ribbon, and make pretty parts. :mrgreen:

BTW, with any other software, undocumented "features" are called Easter Eggs. Some are amusing, some are stupid, some might even be useful, but there is never any guarantee that they will appear in future releases. Use at your own risk. And, yes, Max, I don't normally try to "scroll" the ribbon with my mouse wheel. But I did have to try this, and I found it works as ASP (Christian) described... at least for now. Would anyone be interested in seeing some undocumented op codes for Intel microprocessors? Ha! Just kidding.

Hop

ASP

switching between ribbons with the mouse-wheel is a standard function in all software (i know) which uses ribbons !
AD (for me) is the only one which can hide the ribbon-bar - and I loved it before I noticed that I cannot use the ribbons as I was used to it after showing the ribbon-bar again.
So Max, are you willing to talk to your supplier ? - if so, can you please ask them why the hell the ribbon interface slows down in big ASMs ?