What's new

2013 Make Licensing work as it should

ehughes

I would like to suggest another licensing model for 2013. Right now you license the software "Per machine". Please consider licensing "per developer".

I do electronics design a frequently do mods (3 months or so) to my machine. This always trips up Alibre and I have to explain my self via support. It makes me feel like a thief but I really only have one physical machine (and it changes a lot). Alibre already phones home with web services. Why not have my session enabled with a username an dpassword? This should be easy to do as you already have the software mechanisms to check accounts, etc.

It really shouldn't matter if I have it one 1000 machines, I can only log into one of them at a time.

Some may not like this model but its how another piece of software I use (Altium Designer) works and it is very nice. I would even pay a premium for it. The biggest argument is "what if I don't have internet access". The way Altium handles it is when you are logged in, you have a license file that can be "checked out" for a period of time (1 day, 1 month, indefinitely).

I have been doing this now for several years with Altium and it is fantastic. The "no internet" issue has never come up. There are people who work in secure environments but the "per machine" licensing model would work fine there. You guys already have the web services infrastructure for authentication so I can't see this being a big deal.

Please consider licensing the software to me (the human who writes the check), not the machine I happen to be working on that day. To me, the machine I use is a consumable (like toilet paper). It will eventually be flushed. It makes no sense to tie any particular functionality to it.

dammerel

ehughes
i like the bentley systems model called "select" check it out
you can load the software on as many machine as you like, the machine then will ping the bentley server to get a 30 day licence
concurrent use is allow as long as it is at a reasonable level, which is great for peak workloads. if not bentley will be in contact and priced as needed
i use microstation products in my day job and it loaded on my work pc, site work laptop, site offices, home etc

Andrew

biochemajor

I STRONGLY suggest Alibre address this issue as well. I believe Alibre should have a floating license scheme since they allow users with active maintenance to have three concurrent licensed installs. They could make it very simple for us to manage licensing ourselves. A dropdown menu with a licensing option with dialog box would allow activation and deactivation using the internet along with codes for phone based use. Anyone who has used Adobe Creative suite apps will know how easy and convenient this scheme is for the end user. I use Bentley Intergraph PDS and Microstation at work and we have the ability to “check out” a license and then release it when we no longer need it. The only bad thing about this is tech savvy people will make an image of their drive, deactivate the programs in question and restore the image and have an illegal license. I remember old school “dongles” were used on the serial and USB ports and this is still not out of the question (in modified form) and should be the current scheme. I too upgrade my hardware anywhere from quarterly to annually with anything from a complete new build or just a few parts.

Whatever excuse Alibre has for not addressing this is invalid due to the simplicity of PKI integration. I used to do Enterprise PKI implementation for just about everything imaginable and I know how easy it is to put this technology to use. I’ll give you an example of the process to illustrate the simplicity, security, and fault tolerance of this system. First you setup a CA (Certificate Authority) Server running on an old cheap copy of Windows Server 2003 or a free copy of your favorite flavor of Linux. Then you setup a website with secure login to allow users to manage their account and request a certificate. The user installs the PKI client on their end that allows them to integrate their smart card with their browser and any software on their workstation that supports it. The user then inserts their smart card in a convenient front panel USB port (eToken Pro 64k), fires up an internet browser, and logs into Alibre license manager. The person fills out the request and the CA can be set to approve automagically or manually by CA admin. The private key is stored safely on the smart card and can never be exported or misused. Now the CA certificate is paired with the user certificate to authenticate the device on which the smart card is currently residing. The site and certificate based logon can be easily managed and organized using Windows Server 2003 Active Directory (feature of Server 2003).

The best thing about this is how it works behind the scenes. This scheme would allow Alibre to adopt RSA 2048 bit keys as license keys which can be endlessly generated securely and dump whatever they are using for generating these license codes. Alibre’s well known affinity for third part solutions probably means they are licensing this feature as well, which would mean instant savings for them. Who wants to type in 2,048 character key you say? Easy, you don’t. Once Alibre license manager authenticates the certificate on the smart card your software can be activated for whatever period of time your account reflects (1yr maintenance, perpetual, 30 day, temp licenses, etc…). What happens if I lose the card? Easy, you login to Alibre license manager site and deactivate the certificate and issue a temporary certificate that can be used without a smart card for 30 days while you wait for a replacement in the mail a few days down the road. If this falls into the wrong hands it can’t be used, as it will appear on the CA revocation list or if it hasn’t been discovered missing yet, it will require a pin to access the smart card for authentication and have limited attempts before locking. This could expose the IP address of the thief or tell Alibre that the person did not actually lose the key and is trying to commit fraud. In seven years of using PKI, PGP, and etoken I have never lost my card or has it failed. If Alibre is actually using a license generator of their own design then they could continue to use it to activate the software upon smart card authentication. They can generate three license codes for people on maintenance and one temporary code good for 30 days of use at a time. These codes would never be visible to the end user and would be delivered in an embedded form and most definitely encrypted. This would allow a user to insert smart card, open browser, navigate to Alibre account manager, securely login, go to license management, key in smart card pin, wait a few seconds for authentication, select available license, temp license, or be informed of no licenses remaining. Alibre license server would, upon successful authentication, activate (or deactivate) the product of temp license for 30days (temp), remaining maintenance period or perpetual for owners out of maintenance. This would save Alibre untold hours of billable support freeing up money to use elsewhere and many headaches of users. Keep in mind, this would be a once a year thing or whenever you are transferring a license. This may sound complicated to average Joe, but given the level of technical competence needed for CAD and a well designed graphical user interface for the licensing system, this would be a simple couple clicks of the mouse. All the technical stuff is a one time configuration on Alibre's end and happens automagically (transparently) for the end user.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I work 12-16hrs a day 5-6 days a week with a 45min commute each way and all my free time is on the weekend when Alibre is, you guessed it, CLOSED!! So, needless to say, it takes me many weeks to get around to addressing basic things that I should be able to do myself in a few seconds, with technology that has been around for ten years (serial dongles go back decades). The thing to note here is that UNLIKE DONGLES, which get lost and can be used and never expire, certificates can be set with or without expiration dates, require local or remote authentication, and can be revoked should it get lost making it unusable during the authentication process. I just gave Alibre $10,000 worth of free advice which can revolutionize their software, but it will never happen. They just now got around to using the .NET Framework Ribbon for their GUI which has been around since Office 2007 and in .NET SDK since at least 2008 making it nearly obsolete.

Max did promise us that EVERYTHING mentionable would be addressed in the next release. I think licensing it the most important for both parties involved, then reliability, features, price, etc… One last thing worth noting is that this can also be done offline for those of you who may have tight security policies due to clearance level contracts, but Alibre will have to pay for that info! Just kidding.

James

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We've already discussed the request earlier in a different post and we're still thinking about it on and off. Like I said in the other post I don't think we have any specific aversion to allowing more licensing options to people with specific needs.

This would allow a user to insert smart card, open browser, navigate to Alibre account manager, securely login, go to license management, key in smart card pin, wait a few seconds for authentication, select available license, temp license, or be informed of no licenses remaining. Alibre license server would, upon successful authentication, activate (or deactivate) the product of temp license for 30days (temp), remaining maintenance period or perpetual for owners out of maintenance. This would save Alibre untold hours of billable support freeing up money to use elsewhere and many headaches of users.

My friend, over the years I've learned that Support time required is exponentially proportional to the number of commas in the instructions. Trust me this would not decrease support time. And, dongles and smart cards are a pain the %@#. No one wants to deal with that, including us.

More to the point, our current system should be able to handle all this right now. From my home computer I can disable or enable 10 peoples' licenses in 2 minutes - the functionality is there on the back end. The only thing we need to figure out is whether we want to give end users access to that page on our website or not, what it would look like, and how much it might cost. This problem is not rocket science from a technical standpoint.

Anyway, we probably benefited from having this back on our radar. I'll discuss internally and try to have some type of an answer by the end of the week.

An important note is that this is easy to do for Alibre Design but is not possible for some of the add-ons like KeyShot, MoI, or CAM, which have separate licensing structures. I'm going to run on the assumption that this new flexible licensing will be sufficient for Alibre Design only. If not, the idea is a non-starter because we'll never get our partners to both agree and implement this.

Max

PS.
Max did promise us that EVERYTHING mentionable would be addressed in the next release.
I think that may be slightly misrepresenting what I said ;)

Max

Administrator
Staff member
We have decided to allow flexible licensing options. Here are the details:

- You must be on maintenance to be able to use it
- You must make a 1 time purchase of the Flex-License option (probably $199 (probably)) applicable to Pro/Expert (PE is not available for Flex-Licesing).

If you have purchased the Flex-License option and you are on maintenance, you will see a Flex-License link on your Account Info page. After clicking this link you will be shown all currently enabled licenses, the computer name associated with them, and a button to Return the License".

Returning a license frees that license up for other computers to use. You can do this as often as you want, whenever you want, without Alibre involvement.

We plan on implementing this as soon as possible and it probably will be live within a few weeks.

Does this achieve the goal?

Thanks!
Max

-

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Additional functionality does incur a cost and Max states that it is a one-time fee. Seems fair to me, especially as it is the user's choice whether or not to buy the feature. I'd feel differently if all users were required to buy it.

Mike

ehughes

I think your proposed system is a good compromise. It's closer to a network based approach and gives me Flexibility like the altium approach (although I would like to do everything front the AD interface).

I'll be waiting with cash in hand. $199 is reasonable enough given you guys have to do some extra work here. Thanks for listening!

cwahl

Hi!

I would guess this is the case for more than me:

I'm running a business with me as the only designer. Every tool we choose to buy is bought on the promise of a flexible or safe lisencing scheme.
For practical puropses, this means:
* At least two, preferrably three, machines will be fully installed with e.g. Alibre Expert
* The machines will be physically located on at least 2 different locations.

--Do not think we haven't been saved by this on many occasions: Theft, harddisk breakdown, mainboard breakdown, stolen dongles...

This takes a flexible lisencing, Spaceclaim did not fulfill our requirements. AutoCad did comply after some discussion - and as goodwill only.
We have multiple compilers, ecad solutions and others running for 10-15 years on floating and 'named lisence' schemes. And I can safely say we never breached the agreements.
For cheap software (<USD100) we will buy 2-3 lisences to make sure we have at least 2 fully equipped workplaces.
And the hardware is replaced each year (laptops) or each 3rd year for desktops.

Now - we understand the problems from the software vendors side: more lisences could give more problems, less control - and possible abuse.
What Alibre/3D, Spaceclaim, Autodesk & others need to see clearly, is that their best possibility to win the market is number of happy users. Unhappy users will always be illoyal.

I could accept a way of trading active lisence between machines, however this should be from OUTSIDE the CAD package, and for existing customers *** it should be free.***
Remember that we are trading in a based-on-trust flexibility with a Alibre-does-not-trust-us-anymore-even-though-we-haven't-violated-any-agreement.

What you do to new customers, is your business - but I'd advice you to consider USD99 if anything at all.

I still think Alibre was the right choice for us, even if we never got the promised MOI for other than a test drive, and we did not have the promised 1 yr maintenance included in the first year (no problem: the year is about to end, anyway - just bought maintenance)

Price is up, though, and I am not too impressed with new functionality for professional users. (Still waiting to be able to bend a flat sheet...;-) )

Still: keep up the work & make the right priorities. Smart direct editing will force itself onto all 3D as more step-files are communicated.

all the best
Claus

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Claus - from your note I'm not sure if you realise that Alibre currently allows 3 active installs per licence of Pro or Expert (only one machine to be used at any point in time) - when PCs die or are replaced you can easily have the key for old machine disabled to free it up for new PC (just ask Alibre or your reseller to do this).

MoI - if it was included with your package, you need to download the full package installer (for some reason Alibre provides the trial installer initially which only works for 30 days - thay can provide a link to the full version and a licence key), suggest you contact support or your reseller as appropriate.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running a business with me as the only designer. Every tool we choose to buy is bought on the promise of a flexible or safe lisencing scheme.
For practical puropses, this means:
* At least two, preferrably three, machines will be fully installed with e.g. Alibre Expert
* The machines will be physically located on at least 2 different locations.

You can do this now...you get 3 licenses of Expert that can all be installed simultaneously. That is not going away - the described things above are additional to that and optional.

Max

cwahl

Thank you - I was a bit afraid you considered to withdraw that in the future!
Have installed our 3 liCenSes, and upgraded 2 of them to 2012-version.

I can also - vaguely - see the need for a token-based web activation for more 'dynamic' businesses.

Happy user! :D

BTW: Did I mention that Alibre still doesn't allow making a flange in the middle of a sheet?

;) Claus

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It's still progressing. A few people that need to implement it on the back end are pretty backed up with previous tasks at the moment but it's in the queue.

GaretDH

More licensing options would be great. I have to add my vote to the "should be free to existing maintenance customers" line of thought...

I used to have 5 concurrent installs, which was great, but that unceremoniously got taken away. I have my primary work computer, my home machine, my laptop, and we have a machine down in the conference room we use for demonstrating things to customers. It'd would be really... really!... nice not to have to lug machines around just to show a customer an assembly model, and a laptop is non-ideal for that situation.

I am the only person in this company that uses Alibre, and yet it's surprising how easy it is to suck up three installs and need more.

-G

kdevoe

I also feel that it should be free, at least to exisiting people with a maintenance contract.

The price of $199.00 seams excessive. If not free then maybe a small one time charge of $25 or $50.

Kevin