What's new

2017 constant crashes

nivram

anyone else getting the alibre view filled with a red crosshaired box...basically crashing since they upgraded?

RCH_Projects

Alibre Super User
Though I use an older version of Alibre the only time I get this red X is when I run an old program when Alibre is open.

Can you isolate a similar correspondence?
Have you upgraded/downgraded video drivers?

nivram

Thanks both of you.

Not isolated when it does it..but could be sleep mode..but I am sure I was in the web browser when it happens.

I did figure out to save and re-open by myself.

As far as I am aware graphics drivers etc are up to date.

Colin

MKR

I get the red X several times a day, and it is always when I convert to pdf and Adobe Reader DC open.

JST

Alibre Super User
Prior versions have seemed not to like sleep mode, as when you take a phone call, etc, and while involved with that, the machine goes to some version of sleep, or a power saving mode such as shutting down the display.

Depending on time involved, or other unknown factors, the program has sometimes failed to work afterward. The PROGRAM can be open, but not with a model or drawing open. I have developed the habit of at least saving, and generally closing anything that is open, if I will be away for more than a very short time.

A trip to the bogs, or a slightly longer phone call, anything that may trigger sleep or power saving causes problems. Sometimes just the machine sitting without input for too long, without entering a power save mode at all, and Alibre may freeze the drawing or model. It is ONLY Alibre, so not due to a machine or OS problem.

Perhaps the 2017 version has some change that makes it worse?

I don't think I am going to be downloading 2017 any time soon. I will let the dust settle first.

dwc

Alibre Super User
I have not seen any difference in the behaviour of 2017 to 2016 yet.
To eliminate the screen driver problems when going into/coming out of sleep mode, tell your operating system to never go to sleep mode.
That is a work-around for a problem in the program, but it works perfectly.
This was necessary for 2016 and I assume for 2017 as well as I have not tried letting the ordi go to sleep with 2017.
Don

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I'm pretty sure that Alibre 2017 is basically GM18.1.1 relabeled and the flexera virtual dongle replaced. Hopefully the first lot of fixes/enhancements are being feverishly worked on as we speak.

aptivaboy

That happens to me whenever I try to run Steam or Daz Studio at the same time as GD. I suspect there's some sort of interference or incompatibility with the graphics, both trying to use the Nvidia card at the same time. It only effects GD, not my other open programs, some of which are also fairly graphics hungry. At least, that's what the crash reports suggest.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
OpenGL screensavers have been known to cause this issue (disrupts the DirectX connection to the workspace) - so I suppose other OpenGL programs would also.

The software is still running - you can save files then re-start.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
There is a bug in the directX code of Alibre somewhere. If you compile and run the DirectX Addon example that just gets the directX canvas and places a multicouloured triangle on the screen, you lose one or more of the axis arrows (bottom left) until the triangle is dismissed.
Probably won't mean much to most on here, but those at Alibre and those writing Add-ons that use directX to augment the model will understand what I mean!
I suspect this is just highlighting the mis management of DirectX resources, which when fully used (and not released for future use, ultimatley ends up with the red cross of doom that some see time to time!