What's new

2019 Beta? Release?

PaulProe

Max
Do you have an idea when the new version will be released for production use? Will beta's be available? Will they run concurrent with 2018 or will it have to be removed to try the new version?

Not trying to hold you to anything, just getting excited about the new toys

Paul

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Should have a clearer picture in a week or two. We have to implement an upcoming release from our display partner prior to releasing to you, as that will fix some must-fix issues. This release is taking a bit longer than normal due to the sheer scope of implementation.

Short answer is "when it's ready". The production release is probably 2 months away, give or take 2 weeks. The beta is probably 2-3 weeks away. All subject to change.

Our releases, as usual, are not able to be run concurrently. The beta will have all the typical caveats.

Do get excited about new toys though...this release is pretty awesome :D

batejosh

Exciting to see all the news of the new release. It looks like it is going to be fantastic!

My maintenance expires in 29 days. When I bought last year I was expecting it would cover the 2019 release. Is there any chance that Alibre will be able to give me the 2019 release on this maintenance period?

Mika

How is it really going, if we'll pay one year maintenance and that new version will not come during that maintenance year? We get it or not? That would be nice to know...

How is it really going, if we'll pay one year maintenance and that new version will not come during that maintenance year? We get it or not? That would be nice to know...
Mika -- It was 3D Systems (not Alibre) that (a couple of times) did mot do an update within a calendar year. Alibre has pretty consistently issued two updates each calendar year (though their may be an "exception: I am forgetting) since 2009. Whereas the Forum here does provide a wealth of "operational knowledge" with respect to Alibre Design, having Alibre Support on your side jas a real "value." And no, I am not an employee of Alibre.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Calendar days or working days, Max? Public holiday in USA & UK Monday 27th.

Please spell out the month in dates - lots of the world has numeric date format different from USA. I assume you are indicating launch approx. 1st July.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It's also worth noting that there are different kinds of releases. Some releases where most of the stuff is just "new features" are much easier to predict. New features tend to be somewhat sandboxed in their own little areas. This release contains fundamental changes that affect literally everything related to graphics (aka - anything you see, or click, or preview). Those kinds of releases tend to take longer.

For example, you might read "we updated the graphics pipeline", but consider:
  • 3D graphics
  • New 3D performance options
  • The view triad
  • Reference geometry
  • Redoing picking / selection everywhere in the product
  • Changing the scene graphs
  • Every preview type, for example a 2D fillet preview
  • In 2D workspaces
    • every figure
    • every view type
    • every annotation
  • the list is much longer but you get the idea...
So this release taking more time is an indication of the fact that it was an enormous project for us, and nothing more. And, we think it's worth it.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Calendar days or working days, Max? Public holiday in USA & UK Monday 27th.

Please spell out the month in dates - lots of the world has numeric date format different from USA. I assume you are indicating launch approx. 1st July.

I have what we are hoping is the final beta build in my inbox right now - if all goes well we'll launch it on Tuesday/Wed.

About a month give or take a week or two after that, we'll launch 2019, depending on beta issues (or non-issues).

Max

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@Max , a little bird told me that Split Views have been removed (before the bugfix I reported has even been released!). Is this the case? ... and why? This is one of my primary workspaces and yet again its a key functionality cut.

Apart from the great new rendering options, 2019 is getting thinner and thinner on functionality when compared to 2018.1! I hope this functionality will be restored soon.

I've never known another application of this size removing so much. As a developer, I can never understand why you would take out features you have already invested time and resource into implementing when it forms part of the feature set that sold the product in the first place and how you can continue to justify the same product price and increases in maintenence renewal!

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing has been removed. Some things have been "de-emphasized" from the ribbon. For example, the split view button is no longer on the ribbon. Neither is Selection Filters. They are still available.

We'll see how people react in the beta, and adjust as needed. If a ton of people convey dissatisfaction about it, or others, we'll put it back into the ribbon.

We're trying to streamline and simplify, and selection filters for example aren't widely used by most people, and when they are used it's for a very specific workflow typically. The Home Window button...etc. So should a tool like that clutter everyone's ribbon? Scale that concept to 5-20 tools and you start to get a cluttered experience. We have big plans for 2020 already in the works that addresses a lot of this, in a way you will like, but I'll talk about that later. :D For now, we're trying to simplify a bit.

But everything is still there, just accessible via toolbars or menus etc.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Short memory Simon?
Not at all! I use split view in most of the CAD packages I utilise and for most of my part creation process. I find it less time consuming that constantly rotating and spinning round the model in a single free view, The only time I specifically don't use it in Alibre, is for editing and inserting 3D splines, because the movement of nodes in the 3 views is not intuitive and movement planes are not automatically selected based on the view plane. So for that specific use case (i.e. cable and wire routing), I do that kind of work in MOI, because it just works.

The reference to removing, was with regards to the ribbon, not the split views! So a little context to what I was actually referring to is required here!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@NateLiqGrav , just to be perfectly clear, the information I heard (not from these threads and more recent than those posts) was that the entire Split View feature was being removed, not just the buttons from the ribbon. If it was just buttons, I wouldn't have posted my earlier post!! It has since been confirmed by @Max that what I heard is not the case. So, end of the matter as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Well. Mostly known issues we are waiting on a 3rd party to resolve. Hoping we are about 2.5 ish weeks out.