What's new

2019 not performing as quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Going back through some older more complex designs. Multi-level boolean operations and multi-level assemblies. Noticed 2019 not that snappy. Takes quite a while to open these files and making changes or moving the dogbone (particularly with boolean ops) results in quite a significant pause. Noticibly longer than with 2018.

Its not the PC, that's beens sorted and, as I said, these files were faster with 2018.

I went to view settings and enabled the frame lock setting @ 30fps. Felt a little bit smoother. Overall, I believe this version is simply harder to run. My boss's ancient (but well spec'd) pc could not handle the update. He has a new laptop on the way. He needed a new one anyways though...

There is an option in the setting called "Use legacy graphics" or something. That will revert the new graphics and hopefully enable better performance. It worked for his while he waits.

Of course, make sure drivers are updated.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This is a brand new PC that is properly specced. Besides I'm not talking about graphics. Its the actual calculations that are taking long.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I would be curious to know the actual time difference. We haven't made any changes to the way things are calculated. What has changed is the way things are rendered (and all that goes into that). There is a (usually) small overhead associated with some things using the new rendering pipeline. Can you send an example file and workflow, or test on your own, to get some actual numbers that you're seeing? If the difference is 5%, then that's probably within tolerance. If it's 2x slower, then there's some issue that needs to be addressed and your workflow / file will help.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I don't have 2018 installed any more and probably wouldn't get to any A-B'ing til the weekend but off the top of my head I'd reckon its about twice as long.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Opening a workspace and working on simple parts seems fine, its the complex multilevel stuff thats causing the hangup. I also noticed that when editing a boolean function the window was minimised. Seems something in 2019 gets a bit overwhelmed. 2018 by comparison was butter smooth.

Ditto here. I was noticing this in the beta versions (I used the last two beta versions). There's definitely something slower, but couldn't say where it's coming from.

ROB101

Noticeably not as smooth as far as screen refresh rates on my computer for some reason. 3d manipulations seems a little more viscous, as in slower to turn around, flip, but that may be intentional in this new version.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
It would be really helpful for us if we can be as explicit as possible about what is taking time. File > Open will be slower, typically around 8-10%, than previous versions. But that's a one time thing, compared to for example editing features. Everything else is very dependent on exactly what is happening, in terms of diagnosis and remedy.

So if you feel like something in particular is wonky, example Editing a specific Boolean that used to take 20 seconds but now seems to take 2 minutes, then the best possible thing to do is try it in each version and time it. I know it takes a few minutes, but that kind of thing can help us pinpoint stuff which is like gold for high value fixes that speed up everyone.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Noticeably not as smooth as far as screen refresh rates on my computer for some reason. 3d manipulations seems a little more viscous, as in slower to turn around, flip, but that may be intentional in this new version.

It might be video card related. This version is sensitive to video hardware. What do you have?

oldfox

Alibre Super User
It might be video card related. This version is sensitive to video hardware. What do you have?

Max, I know that my video card is not very powerful. I can however use the legacy and check the timing on 2018 vs. 2019 if that would help.
I have 2018 on one drive and 2019 on another I just have to boot the one I want to use. What say ye?

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I opened a model using File > Open in all 3 examples.

2018.2 2019 Legacy 2019 NON-Legacy
2m 6s 1m 58s 2m 41s

I can live with that. But I have noticed that every time I open an assembly, the Auto Regenerate goes back to it's default of ON.
That makes a lot of difference (time) when I am working with assemblies. If It would just default to OFF that would be perfect.

Also I saw that when I add a part to an old assembly, I can't move that part until I have saved the assembly. In 2018 I could move things
without saving. It that operation is intentional, then I'll just learn to save after every new part.

ROB101

That may be the case. It's a NVIDIA GeForce GT730. I'll check to see if there's an updated driver for the card, and I'll try it again when I have a chance.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
UPDATE:

Working on a new model. Boolean united Part A into Part B to use Part A's profile in a sketch in Part B. This sketch was stuttering and freezing a lot. Suppressed the boolean feature and the sketch works fine. As above, a boolean is at the root of this.

I want to like 2019, lots of cool features in theory. But there are issues. This did not happen with 2018 and to be honest if I were using this in a manufacturing enviroment I would have returned to 2018 within half a day.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Sebastian,

tried a few minutes ago some boolean operations just for a test...

upload_2019-7-24_23-8-17.png

"it" doesn't slows down for me.
How complex are the boolean parts your working on?

Regards
Stefan

Max

Administrator
Staff member
UPDATE:

Working on a new model. Boolean united Part A into Part B to use Part A's profile in a sketch in Part B. This sketch was stuttering and freezing a lot. Suppressed the boolean feature and the sketch works fine. As above, a boolean is at the root of this.

Can you send us the file?

Status
Not open for further replies.