What's new

2D drawing ability......

dkmc

2D drawing ability......

I've seen others say on this forum that Alibre isn't much for 2D drawings.

I want to draw a simple Apartment layout (Walls/Doors/Windows, etc)
It seems like it's not to handy. Any guide lines for the procedure?
Or, what CAD software (low cost) is better suited to this task??

thanks

dan k

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

Microsoft Visio or similar program might be a better solution for that sort of task. I use Visio to do layouts for my basement metalworking shop and it's quite easy to use for that sort of thing. Visio 2003 Pro comes with templates for various objects or types of drawings and one set is "Building Plan" which is broken into subsets for all sorts of architectural layouts including floor and house plans which include walls, doors, windows, electricals etc. There are also layouts for landscaping, industrial sites, offices and recreational areas.

Almost any fairly recent version of Visio should work and you might find a bargain on Ebay if cost is important. There is a downloadable trial version of the current edition of Visio available at Microsoft's web site.

Mike

danbrinkman89

2D drawings

Try this freeware, it is a touch like AutoCad, but without all the bells and whistles.
http://www.cadstd.com/lite.php

I have also found myself drawing a few things in 3D in Alibre and then making the drawing off of that. Personally a floor paln in 3D would be ideal in a large factory, so you can see clearnce heights for mezzanines, racking, and machinery, but 3D may be overkill for what you need.

indesign

Alibre Super User

You could always use a excel spreadsheet and do 3d models of the room based on the variables for the walls and such.

Then make the 2D off of that. Then again if you want a room layout program really cheap...goto walmart.

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hello Dan,

I also think your best bet is to try a 2D, AutoCad like utility. Progesoft (Miles suggestion) seems a very (amazingly) complete app. I have it loaded my self.

The reasons I'm saying this are:

:arrow: Autocad like apps mimic how you would draw on a drawing board with rulers and pencil. Lines and circles are drawn using previously created geometry as reference for placement. Data as length and diameter is entered when geometry is created but this, and placement references to other geometry are then "forgotten" by the software. If you create a line joining the center of two circles and then you move the circles, the line stays. This is good for schematics and layouts.

:arrow: Parametric modelers mimic how you would fabricate a part. Geometric reletions are allways rememberd (as parameters, hence the name). If you create the same line joining the center of two circles, the line follows the circles if these are moved around.

There are of course specialized programs for architechtural design. In Alibre you have a tool to insert holes, in those programs, you have tools to insert windows or stairways.

So again, for your need, an Autocad like app will do the work so much better than Alibre can. If you need to design a product, well, Alibre is light years ahead 8)

mrehmus

One of the best tools in the low-cost realm is TurboCAD. They even have a costing capability IIRC. TC is an AutoCAD-like product although it cannot compete with AutoCAD for production speed (which is way down the speed list from Alibre).