What's new

2D Helix

DBC

Hello Don,

here is a little AlibreScript...
It is not "fully loaded" and it captures not all exceptions, it is only to show that a lot of things are possible with scripting.
View attachment 28402View attachment 28404

You can fit it for your needs. If you have questions, don't hesitate...

Regards
Stefan

Thanks Stefan,

Some day I will have to have a look at scripting, but I have always shied away from it since it looks so much like programming or coding and can't seem to wrap my head around it. Maybe if I gave it a chance. In my last day job they wanted me to learn FeneVision, a business package for the fenestration industry and a huge part of it was scripting for the various system that customers could purchase and which the sales folks used for estimating, etc.. I said no due to my, I don't want to say fear of it, but perhaps aversion. I have a great respect for those of you who can do scripting and programming and things such as that. Like I said, maybe one day I will have a closer look. Thanks for all your efforts.

ajayre

Alibre Super User
Thanks Stefan,

Some day I will have to have a look at scripting, but I have always shied away from it since it looks so much like programming or coding and can't seem to wrap my head around it.

The script opens a dialog window for you to enter the parameters you need. No need to understand how it works to use it.

Andy

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Don,

- download the file
- start AlibreDesign
- create New Part
- activate Script upload_2019-8-20_10-30-45.png
- launch Scripting upload_2019-8-20_10-31-35.png
- choose Open upload_2019-8-20_10-32-10.png
- open the downloaded File upload_2019-8-20_10-33-19.png
- somewhere on your screen the spript appears upload_2019-8-20_10-35-8.png
- press Run upload_2019-8-20_10-36-11.png
- for a first test press simply OK upload_2019-8-20_10-37-31.png
- you will get a new created helix sweep in your current part
- "that's nearly all" to know to use a script

There is also a place where you can organize your scripts
upload_2019-8-20_10-44-49.png

one remark, i've been to lazy to make the end of the helic correctly rectangular to the helix tangent...

Regards
Stefan

DBC

Hello Don,

- download the file
- start AlibreDesign
- create New Part
- activate Script View attachment 28407
- launch Scripting View attachment 28408
- choose Open View attachment 28409
- open the downloaded File View attachment 28410
- somewhere on your screen the spript appears View attachment 28411
- press Run View attachment 28412
- for a first test press simply OK View attachment 28413
- you will get a new created helix sweep in your current part
- "that's nearly all" to know to use a script

There is also a place where you can organize your scripts
View attachment 28414

one remark, i've been to lazy to make the end of the helic correctly rectangular to the helix tangent...

Regards
Stefan

Thanks Stefan, I did realize it was already written and just needed data entry. My comments were more about learning to script. Thanks for all your efforts.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello Don,
I've tried to give some kind of answer to your "initial" question:
Alibre doesn't seem to have the capability of creating a 2D helix/spiral. Is that the case?
So, it has the capability (as David has shown) and some more "on top". If you get ready made scripts, you can take them as extensions to the capabilities of your Design package. No need to to be script by yourself as Andy said already. If you take a look a the scripting section of this forum, you will see that there are some more extensions ready to use. And of course, there are a lot of users in this forum who will give you some help and to extend the capabilities of AlibreDesign...
Hope we're going to see more of your designs in the future.:)
Regards
Stefan