What's new

2D - How to Hatch like this?

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Having troubles with hatching on a 2D drawing. We need to show an area that gets coated as part of a secondary process. Have been unsuccessful.

Example of what I'm looking to do accomplish below with the gray areas. (note this was a customer print generated in another software).

example.png

Here is the part I am trying to show this on, the entire .091 area gets coated, but can only get it to hatch the upper portion. the lower line was drawn in by hand and constrained. the other two lines are silhouette edges that are on the part.

example 2.png

example 3.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I think you'll have to model a very thin coating on the part in the required region to get true projected edges to show in drawing.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I think you'll have to model a very thin coating on the part in the required region to get true projected edges to show in drawing.
David,

I have a not-visible layer on my drawing template. I moved some of the edges to that, then manual sketched in the constrained lines that I needed. it allowed me to do it in the drawing. I also verified that the hatching updated with the part.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I have a not-visible layer on my drawing template. I moved some of the edges to that, then manual sketched in the constrained lines that I needed. it allowed me to do it in the drawing. I also verified that the hatching updated with the part.
Jason, Sorry - not sure how that is a response to my post.

Was just trying to suggest how this can be done - I make no judgement on if your method should also work, but I found hatch tool does not fully recognise manually drawn in lines in the 2D view.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Jason, Sorry - not sure how that is a response to my post.

Was just trying to suggest how this can be done - I make no judgement on if your method should also work, but I found hatch tool does not fully recognise manually drawn in lines in the 2D view.

I was just explaining the alternative way that I did it.

We have about 100 of these drawings to do, trying to figure out the most efficient method is all.

idslk

Alibre Super User
Hello @jfleming ,

you can also add a very thin cut(only one dimesioned line in Sketch<2>) to your 3D-Model:
1668020421082.png

suppress the cut, when you use the part for printing or CNC...

then you are able to select in the drawing the lines that are the borders for the hatch:
1668020541373.png

Regards
Stefan