What's new

2D Sketch: dimensioning Detail Views & Section Views

I'm using:
Alibre Design™ Expert 10.0
Alibre Design Version:[ PRODUCTVERSION 10,0,1,10059 ]
on an XP SP2 machine.

While doing 2D sketches and using either Detail Views or Section Views, I am having problems with the Dimension tool and the Ordinate Dimension tool. On the Standard views, both these tools seem to work fine.

The dimension tools seem to be quite erratic when used in Detail or Section views. Sometimes you can add a few dimensions, but it then stops working. Sometimes no dimensions can be inserted: this is especially frequent when using Ordinate dimensioning. Sometimes the dimensions seem to be accepted, but when you exit the 2D Sketch Mode, the dimensions just added simply go away.

Can anyone give me a troubleshooting suggestion?

Thanks!
Dave

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Dave, don't you want to upload the part and drawing?
The one you have trouble with?
Then someone here would reproduce it... or ...

Cheers.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Toshi,

I just checked this on a sample sheet metal part and I am having the same issue. I can place dimensions on a slot feature and frome slot to slot, but I cannot dimension from the slot to the edge of the part. And ordinate dimensions will place the text only, but as soon as I exit the dimension command they disappear.

I would think that this is definately a bug.

HaroldL

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
In case no one else has seen this problem I created a short video illustration. I will also send it in to Alibre support.

HaroldL

Attachments

• Dimensioing Bug.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 105

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
DDoerschuk said:
...Can anyone give me a troubleshooting suggestion?

I recieved the following as a work around from Alibre support...
Alibre Support said:
The work around is to sketch a line in the section view constrain it to the object edge you wish to dimension to. Then set the line to a non-visible layer after you have placed the dimension. I will also be submitting this case as a program defect for review, thank you for detailed submission

HaroldL

Johnber

How do constrain a line to a sketch element. Do I select the constraint first then draw lilne?
I am trying to dimension an angle. How do I do that?

Thanks in advance.

Johnber

Is there not also a way to project design dimensions to drawing?
I seem to have lost this functionality.

It works for parts, but no assemblies?
I need to produce fully dimensioned assembly drawings.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Johnber said:
Is there not also a way to project design dimensions to drawing?
I seem to have lost this functionality...

Right-click on the view and select "Reproject Design Dimensions" from the pop-up menu.

HaroldL