What's new

2D Sketch

gonnzo

Hi,is it possible to create a 2D sketch and then take it to a detailed manufacturing drawing,

gonnzo

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Not in Geomagic. You need to create a 3D part.

However you can open a drawing workspace and sketch in that. Not recommended though as it isn't really suitable for that.

Jim C

Gonnzo,

Depending on what constitutes a detailed manufacturing drawing the answer is yes, at least from my point of view. You can select any portion of a sketch (in sketch mode), save it using Ctl-C and then paste it in a drawing using Ctl-T. You have to be in a “sketch” mode but then you can use project to sketch to get the features you want, copy them and paste into the drawing (must be in Activate on Sheet).

Dimensioning carries over with no problem that I have found and portions can be mirrored, rotated etc.

That method doesn’t have all the nice capability of a normal drawing but is handy at times to get a quick outline drawing of something that is easy to fab or just as a quick reference when doing more work on a part.

Jim C

gonnzo

Thanks guys,i guess i'm too used to Inventor,i do a lot of gantry cranes for a crane company to which I supply the 2D drawings to go to the engineer,as built drawings,a drawing for the customer & a steel cutting list,i do other 3D work for Motorsport applications & prototype equipment,

Thanks for your help gonnzo

indesign

Alibre Super User
Another option is to create cuts on the 3D part on the sketch plane using configurations. Each one of those can then be used in a 2D drawing for detailing. it will then update with changes to the solid model.