What's new

2D Text fields

kev h

Hi

Just upgraded to V17 and the text fields seem to work more consistently now but still cant figure out how to get date and part name to populate??

Only thing i am wondering is if it needs vault to do this which i don't use.

Cheers Kev :cool:

Attachments

• 2D Text Feilds.JPG
    2D Text Feilds.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 23

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Kevin,

In your 3D Part(s) and/or 3D Assembly go to:
Properties -> File Properties ->
General -> General -> General Properties -> Name / Number
and
General -> Part Data -> Standard Properties
and save...

Attachments

• General-General.png
    General-General.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 11

kev h

Thanks for reply Ralf but still doesn't work could it possibly be how i originally set up the custom template?

Will have a play later.

Cheers Kev 8)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Kev,

This has caught me out a couple of times, and I still forget!

The field has to be inserted in the TEMPLATE for it to work in drawings generated from the template. Inserting a field into a drawing doesn't work - it just displays the field name.

kev h

Hi David

Thanks but not quite sure what you mean ... will have a play later.

Cheers Kev 8)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Basically putting a field in an existing 2D drawing does not work. It will only display the name of the property, not it's value.

If a field is placed in a drawing template, any new drawing made using that template will display the property value in the field location.

Markaj

Hi KevH, the penny has just dropped - DK Precision, you're the guy with the EDM shop in North Road!
I am in Westward Ho!, in fact I called by a couple of years ago and you showed me this 3D package called Alibre (I was working with ProE & vectorworks at the time).
Well I was impressed by your pitch and eventually bought GM for my own work (http://www.markjacksonlighting.com) and find it great, especially being able to do a quick visual with Keyshot, so a bit of Geomagic kudos is due to you I guess!
Can't help with your question though as I'm on v16.
Cheers
Mark