What's new

32-bit for 64-bit?

ecope

I am going to install the new 2014 version of Geomagic Design and was wondering if the 32-bit or 64-bit version would be the best.

In the past I have only used the 32-bit version because some of the options would only work with the 32-bit version and have read that some users seen a slow down with the 64-bit version. Has this been fixed with the new 2014 version?

Thanks,

Eric

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Depends really on your needs. Obviously a 64-bit system will make a greater amount of memory available. Personally I haven't noticed any slow-down but then my PC is pretty well-specced (quad-core @ 3GHz, 8Gb DDR3); in fact the odd occasions when I tried the 32-bit version caused more hang-ups (most likely due to lack of memory) then anything else.

What add-ons do you need?

ecope

Basically I used the 32-bit so I could use Motion 1 in its limited capacity but now I understand the new Dynamics package will run on 64-bit.

I think I will try the 64-bit and see how it goes.

A couple of months ago I tried the SimWise software (from SimWise) and It was fairly good, but what I did notice was that it is the same software as Working Model (maybe a few upgrades) that came with the early Alibre Design Expert package which is a nice set of software.

Eric

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Yes Dynamics is available for both x32 and x64. A trial is called for. What version of AD/GD are you running?

ecope

bigseb I have been using Geomagic Design (Alibre Expert) 2013 but tomorrow I am installing the latest 2014 version. I have been using Alibre since version 6 and I think at that time Professional was the best you could get and whenever Alibre came out with the Expert version I upgraded to it many years ago.

Eric