What's new

32 vs 64bit

plish

I have to switch computers from a Pentium P series to a Quad Core I7 and was wondering what your thoughts are regarding 32 bit vs 64. I do import Solidworks files pretty regularly. I would like to have the Motion capability but since I can't have it (grrrrrrr.....) do you think it's still worth it to load the 64? Have people noticed a difference?
Thanks!

Plish

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
The major difference between them is the amount of memory you can access. 32 is limited 4G where 64 can access well over 100G. As for speed I have not noticed much difference between the two. If plan on doing some really big models then 64 is the way to go.

AHHH MOTION I think is just a dream :roll:

plish

Thanks RocketNut.
That's what I was thinking as well.

I would love to see a decent version of Motion as well and not only in my dreams. It's frustrating when I buy a package and technology keeps going and we pay the same price and get less - Algor, gone. Motion, gone. Alibre Part Library, gone unless I have web access. Renderers-limited. I'm seriously thinking of downgrading my package and buying Solidworks where I get an integrated FEA and much more compatibility (without having to trash the model tree). I can use other renderers and more powerful surfacers, and have access to more parts.

~sigh~

I had high hopes for Alibre....

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
32bit can be limited to as little as 2 gig per application in Windows unless you start fiddling around.

If you have large/complex models than there may well be a benefit in 64 bit. Speed wise there is no inherent advantage to 64 bit, it might even be slightly slower from what I read (probably not obviously perceptible).

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Part Library always needed (and still needs) web access regardless of if accessed form within Alibre or via a browser. The forthcoming intelligent part generator has been mentioned - hopefully that isn't too far away.

Motion - I feel your frustration. I think we have to hope to hear something soon from Alibre, it's clear that Motion 2 beta didn't go the way it was expected (we know there are all kinds of restrictions on exactly what they tell us publicly).

Good luck in buying SW - check carefully how much the version with FEA etc actually costs.

H-L-Smith

I just bought a new 64 bit workstation/64 bit Windows OS combo. Even so, I still use all 32 bit Alibre S/W because of the add-ons, which I need. My old 32 bit HP workstation actually ran all the Alibre S/W very well and it did everything I needed. However, I couldn't update the Windows OS anymore on my old 32 bit PC and XP Pro was getting to the end of its effective product life. Lucky for me I made the change, because Alibre has dropped XP Pro now too starting with the upcoming version.

However, just as my 32 bit workstation was overtaken by evolving technology even though it still remained quite useful, there is going to be pressure to evolve all Alibre S/W (including the add-ons) to 64 bits. Yes, they have the capability to run 32 bit S/W now on the 64 bit Windows OS's now and will for some time, but that is going to become a stagnant backwater technologically.

So, to be a player in the future, 64 bit S/W will be effectively be a product requirement in the CAD industry. The need for, and desirability of, software that is 32 bit will diminish significantly (at least in CAD) and it may even become a serious negative. All the 32 bit workstations will end up unused and in the storage closet due to OS development pressure if nothing else. At least, that's my opinion. My guess is that there is a 2 year window left on the 32 bit versions of everything and I may be a little generous with my estimate. In the software industry you either evolve continuously or perish. It's just a hard fact of life.

plish

H-L-Smith, I totally agree with your assessment. 32 bit is quickly being viewed as being not enough and it won't be long (like you said, a generous 2 years!) before it's treated as not acceptable.
Thanks for your thoughts!!

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
How many of you remember 16B processor? I was the top dog back then. An Boy did my apps smoked thought throu my program. This was before COMMODORE. I almost hock my call to be the on the block to have one. OH those where the days of true computer fun.

plish

Ha! RocketNut - love it. I remember it well. To me it's interesting how humans have a tendency to use all that's given instead of being innovative and doing more with less. Think of how economical programming was when memory wasn't free (for all intents and purposes). Now, programmers bloat everything because there's room *Yea, everyone's got a G of RAM. What' the big deal?"

Jim C

Ahhh, there was nothing more invigorating than directly accessing hardware registers in assembly and having it work! Especially after designing and building the system yourself. That really was computer fun. Going back further there was a company called Heathkit......