What's new

3D PDF

kdevoe

3D PDF

When I do a solid model my units are set to inches but when I publish a model to a pdf the measurement tool is way off on it's readings. I have to set it to 1 model unit = 39.37 units. This means that it is being published to pdf with units set to meters.

Is there a way to fix this? I hate to tell my customer that he must make this setting every time he opens the file.

Kevin

lwm

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but I have one for you. I've never been able to figure out how to take measurements in Acrobat Reader. Or do you need to have the full version of Acrobat for that?

Lorne

kdevoe

Hi Lorne,

I opened the file in both the reader (ver 8) and my full (ver 7) and it seems that you need the full version to use a measurement tool.

Kevin

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

The ability to use the measuring tool in a 3D PDF can be switched on if you have the full version (to make it available in the reader).

So if you have the full version, you can use it to enable this functionality in a file created using AD. I haven't spotted a way to ensure the measure function is enabled just by using AD - surely there must be a way??

lwm

Are you saying that if you create a PDF and you have the full version of Acrobat, then I could measure it in Reader without having the full version on my computer? If so would you be kind enough to send me a PDF model so that I could demo this? My email is lrn_martin@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
Lorne

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

Yes, there is an option in the full version to 'enable for commenting and analysis in reader' - this is a bit cryptic, and it always takes me a while to find it!

I'm sending 2 versions of the same PDF, one needs the full Acrobat to do measuring, the other will work in Reader.

Surely we should have the option of enabling this from Alibre Design?!

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

DavidJ said:
Yes, there is an option in the full version to 'enable for commenting and analysis in reader' - this is a bit cryptic, and it always takes me a while to find it!

So, where is it, David :?: :!: :)

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

In sending a simple file to lorne, I noticed that the scale needs to be set each time you open Adobe reader and try to use the measuring tool.

It seems that when AD publishes a PDF the numbers for dimensions are captured, but not the units.

All a bit weird!

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I can't find 'enable for commenting and analysis in reader', myself!

When I Save As a 3D PDF from Acrobat 3D (created in AD) the Settings button is greyed out...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

Miles, look under 'comments' - you have to have a file open or the option doesn't appear at all.

I'm using Acrobat 3D v8 - I honestly don't recall if v7 did it the same way or not.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member

I know what you mean - Acrobat is impressive in what it can do, but lots of options, settings in several different places, 'context sensitive' menus - all conspire to mean you can never remember where anything is.

lwm

Does anybody know if Alibre is planning to enable the measurement features directly from Alibre in the future, or would this be an extra cost for them maybe, and they don't plan on doing this at all?