What's new

3D print text for a duel extruder printer

Old Geeser

I have a duel extruder 3D printer. I like to create 2 stl files. One of my basic part (with cavities for the text) and the other with a 3d model of the actual text (in place as it would be on the model). Can anyone please give me some direction on how this would be accomplished with Alibre?
Thank you

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have a duel extruder 3D printer. I like to create 2 stl files.
Which slicer do you use? If you only have Atom3D, then STL export is not available, but many slicers (Cura, Prusa, etc) will allow you to import STEP files, which Alibre can natively export. More info on your version of Alibre, and preferred slicer would help to give you some tips.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon,

Atom3D does have STL export. Not sure how you got the idea that it doesn't.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Simon,

Atom3D does have STL export. Not sure how you got the idea that it doesn't.
My bad, I assumed that because Atom didn't have the vast array of exporters that Pro and Expert have, that STL was amongst that list!

I have: Alibre Expert. The sliser is the Quid version of Cura. I have a Qidi "i-fast" printer.
@Old Geeser , open the part model you want to print in Alibre, then select File->Export STL from within the part workspace for each of the parts you need to print, then just import them into Cura, position on the bed and slice and away you go. If they are different colour parts, then you can import both parts into Cura and assign the print colour to each part, your printer should take care of the rest.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I have a duel extruder 3D printer. I like to create 2 stl files. One of my basic part (with cavities for the text) and the other with a 3d model of the actual text (in place as it would be on the model). Can anyone please give me some direction on how this would be accomplished with Alibre?
Thank you

I use a Flashforge Creator Pro dual extruder printer to occasionally do the same thing you are doing.

It can be a pain in the butt using the slicer to position the text model perfectly inside the text holes of the main model.

Using Alibre, I create the model as a whole with the text in place. Create the text sketch and extrude cut to create the holes the text model will fit in.

Then, create a text sketch on the bottom face inside the holes, and extrude boss to create the text.

Suppress the text extrude and export the .STL to create the body minus the text.

Then, unsuppress the text, and suppress main body of it and export the .STL

You'll have everything in one file, and positioned correctly.

Here is an example:

The whole thing.
1665327131790.png

Suppress the text extrude boss, leaving just the hole and export the .stl
1665327211281.png

Then suppress the entire body, leaving only the text. Export the .stl
1665327291105.png

Now when you import the two models into your slicer, they should be positioned correctly for your dual extruder print.
At least, it works for me using Flashprint.

Once Imported into Flashprint, I can assign the model to the left extruder and the text to the right. Or vise versa.

1665327693889.png

Attachments

• 1665327031495.png
    1665327031495.png
    352.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Old Geeser

Thank you both for taking the time. Simon, I was aware of most of your information, but I really appreciate your time.
Ken226, that is exactly what I was looking for. I hope to get time to try it tonight.

I am working on tool to remove/install a sediment bowl from an antique John Deere tractor's gas tank. A friend helped me with the project so I'd like to make him one of these tools also, but his should be engraved with his name and what to tool is used for, don't you think. This has been a really fun project in Alibre, and IT WORKS! It just needs to be prettier.

Thanks again to both of you.

Old Geeser

I have finely succeeded in getting my first 2 color print thanks to help from you two fellows. I have attached a photo. Now that I understand the process, I can make more elaborate parts. Thanks again

Attachments

• 2 color part.JPG
    2 color part.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 15