What's new

3D Printed last resport respirator

avongil

Hi Everyone, I used Alibre Atom to model a mask. I was really peeved that most of the ones online are pure marketing or do not include the original file. This one seems to seal, although I am printing the first one with straps hooks right now.

It is very time consuming so I am asking for some help.

Does anyone want to check out the model and suggest any edits?
Does anyone want to model any modular filter housings?

Some notes and links to the file on git hub are in the attached text file.

Any help or suggestions are more than welcome!

Attachments

• LinkToFile.txt
    437 bytes · Views: 10

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The more suspicious amongst us may be reluctant to open a text file, when you could have placed a link directly in your post.

Some more background on the project might also be helpful.

avongil

Oh, you can just search github for user avongil. That takes you to it. Or prusa printers and axg68k
I just thought the would could use a true open source mask that is kind of easy to modify.
I get it, very suspicious first post, but I have been lurking for months getting all the info I needed from your posts. I was not able to post a link, It was late and I figured a .txt was a workaround of some sort.

Sadly, its not as comfortable as when I made it in vase mode without the hooks. :(
It is really difficult to print thin, comfortable and strong.

Maybe an image would have been a better idea:

Last edited:

avongil

Update, im going to abandon the project and let it live as a lesson in modeling or maybe how to not model. I'm going to leave this up here in case someone wants to learn how to model something in Alibre and all it's positives and negatives. I feel like this mask is overkill since the virus is not airborne. The Prusa face mask is a better idea since it is spread by droplet and surface contact.

I think the modular idea is pretty good though. I might revisit that soon and make some NATO 40mm thread adapters for some honeywell respirators I have here at the shop.

The 3D printability is also great, prints with zero supports.

---

If anyone wants to give me any tips, that would be nice. I found that I had to do way too much work to modify the shape. Every single time you change the basic shape Alibre looses the edge curves of some of the features and you have to re-do the sketch. Stuff like this does not happen in Pro/E or SW, the two other packages I am familiar with. Let me know if im way off base here, but is this a bug or am I just using it way wrong???