What's new

3D Scanners?

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Recently Management here has been hinting at expanding past our current market of cruiser motorcycle accessories and getting into UTV's/side-by-sides. Our production manager has a Polaris RZR XP1000 that he brought in and had myself and our shop "old guy" knock our a few small pieces for; tube clamps for LED light mounts, a bolt-on front winch hook point, etc. etc., little odds and ends things.

He tells me eventually he wants to get us into making stuff like tubular front bumpers with integrated winch mounts, which, looking ahead, is going to be a physically huge welding project for us with a lot of oddly-positioned points of contact. So now talk has turned to acquiring a 3D scanner that we can just wave in front of the car and get a model of all the buggy's factory brackets and holes and chassis parts. Otherwise we'd be relying on our traditional method of taking a thousand measurements, hacking together a prototype, and sticking it on the thing to see how far off we were. That method's done us just fine for making things like highway pegs and handlebar risers for bikes, but a front bumper for a dune buggy is just too big and complex to make that viable.

I didn't know anything about 3D printing until Management bought me one, I know even less about 3D scanners other than they seem to either cost around $300 or $10,000 with nothing in-between and no clear explanation what the difference is. So TL;DR, does anybody on here work with 3D scans in Alibre and can make some suggestions?

41+i+kshdiL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
For the accuracy you would need $10000 would be the range and have a rep come out and do an onsite demo with anything you might consider. A cheap scanner I tried gave me nothing but a bumpy lump for anything I tried to scan. Utterly useless.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Look at SEMA Garage. They have models for most things, I know for sure they have models for some of the older models, along with the new Artic Cat Wildcat XX. After looking at their facebook page, there is even a photo of the latest Polaris RZR Turbo S. I had a friend who worked there doing all the scanning up until he changed jobs a year or so ago.

https://www.semagarage.com/
https://www.facebook.com/thesemagarage/

On the side, I make graphics kits for all of these machines. I've often wondered about taking the 3D models and being able to somehow generate a flat pattern of the individual pieces that would be needed to cover them. Right now, I trace them by hand, take to Staples and they can scan them into a pdf for me, where I then re-trace everything. Very time consuming.

krx.JPG krx2.JPG

bigseb

Alibre Super User
For the accuracy you would need $10000 would be the range and have a rep come out and do an onsite demo with anything you might consider. A cheap scanner I tried gave me nothing but a bumpy lump for anything I tried to scan. Utterly useless.
+1

Scanners are either good (and expensive) or bad (and cheap). There is no middle ground. At least not that I'm aware of.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Look at SEMA Garage. They have models for most things, I know for sure they have models for some of the older models, along with the new Artic Cat Wildcat XX. After looking at their facebook page, there is even a photo of the latest Polaris RZR Turbo S. I had a friend who worked there doing all the scanning up until he changed jobs a year or so ago.
I had a meeting with Management just now and not only was he gung-ho on the idea of buying a pre-made CAD model rather than investing in scanning gear and doing it ourselves, he's already in the process of making us SEMA members. So that's probably the route we'll go.

On the side, I make graphics kits for all of these machines. I've often wondered about taking the 3D models and being able to somehow generate a flat pattern of the individual pieces that would be needed to cover them. Right now, I trace them by hand, take to Staples and they can scan them into a pdf for me, where I then re-trace everything. Very time consuming.
Almost sounds like you want to build a life-size UV map from the 3D model like they do to generate textures for video games. Only you'd be taking that texture and printing it out on vinyl rather than placing it back on the model in a virtual space. I wonder if they could be done the same way...?