What's new

3D Sketch Solid

Jake_Steidy

From my experience you would need to use 2D sketches to create an extrusion. Maybe try using several 2D sketches and then extruding to achieve the part you are trying to model. If you have some more information on what type or shape of part your trying to create from this 3D sketch that could be useful as well. Best of luck.

Jake

Thanks Jake... I am basically trying to create a 3D shape that can be a basis for a cover (skin) for custom electronic components. It seems that this should work in 3D sketch mode because all of the 3D tools for boss, revolve, loft, etc. are available (not grayed out).

What is the purpose of 3D sketching if you cannot make a solid from them?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I am basically trying to create a 3D shape that can be a basis for a cover (skin) for custom electronic components. It seems that this should work in 3D sketch mode because all of the 3D tools for boss, revolve, loft, etc. are available (not grayed out).

What is the purpose of 3D sketching if you cannot make a solid from them?
Use a combination of 2D and/or 3D sketches to create lofts, which will form the solid organic shapes you're after.

Hi Simon,
Do you have an example of a loft created from a 3D sketch? I was using a "spline by reference points" tool to connect the points in 3D sketch mode.
Thanks...

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Do you have an example of a loft created from a 3D sketch? I was using a "spline by reference points" tool to connect the points in 3D sketch mode.
Thanks...
I haven't got one to hand, but the concept is like creating a ships hull. Use 2 or more 2D sketches to define a profile, then using one or more 3d sketches to define the guide curve that blends between the 2d sketches. Have you got a picture or can you share a hand drawn sketch of the kind of solid shape you're trying to achieve?

Simon
I was trying to use the Extrude Boss tool on this 3D sketch. I just want to make it 0.1" thick to use as a cover for some electronics. Thanks...

Attachments

• 3D Sketch Part.AD_PRT
    227 KB · Views: 4

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Simon
I was trying to use the Extrude Boss tool on this 3D sketch. I just want to make it 0.1" thick to use as a cover for some electronics. Thanks...
That won't work. You need to start with a solid and then cut it with two sweeps (in perpendicular directions) to create the shape you want. After that shell to get the thickness.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Here is an example of using Sweep Boss.
2D sketch is the end view of the tube. That will be swept along the 3D sketch to form the
tube. I use Sweeps on the many tubes I draw. Some forms this simple can be done with sweeps. As opposed to drawing an airplane wing
or fuselage or a ships hull. There the wings ribs and ships frames are drawn in 2D and then the Loft is drawn using the 3D sketch of the
wings planform. MOI will work too as bigseb said. That's a separate program. He's pretty much the guru or at least in the running for
top dog with MOI. I think he sleeps with MOI under his pillow:D:cool:

Look over the sketches in the 3D Sketch Part and you should be able to get a better understanding of how to use the 3D sketches.

Attachments

• 3D Sketch Part - V1.AD_PRT
    228.5 KB · Views: 6

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I whipped up a quick surface in Moi for you (although there is a lot of surface info missing!!). Super easy to do in Moi but should be possible in AD.

Open the attached part (make sure surfaces are toggled on) and then thicken to whatever value you want.

Attachments

• Surface.AD_PRT
    279.5 KB · Views: 4
  • surface.3dm
    29.3 KB · Views: 2

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Hey seb, are you using Beta build 22.0.0.22037? Build 21034 won't open a newer version.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hi Simon,
Thanks...
Lofts is not the way to do this. Start with a solid block, then use two perpendicular sweeps to create the shape you want. Then shell to get the thickness.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Hi Simon,
Thanks...
Alibre used to have a Quad Bike model that you could down load to see how the modeling was done. As I recall the hood was created as a solid then a couple of lofts defined the shape. Finally it was shelled to the final thickness.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Alibre used to have a Quad Bike model that you could down load to see how the modeling was done. As I recall the hood was created as a solid then a couple of lofts defined the shape. Finally it was shelled to the final thickness.
There was also a red motorcyle front fairing, and I searched everywhere for it yesterday as it was the first example I thought of too, that demonstrates the steps for creating organic lofts, cuts and shells.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
There was also a red motorcyle front fairing, and I searched everywhere for it yesterday as it was the first example I thought of too, that demonstrates the steps for creating organic lofts, cuts and shells.
Here is Simon. It is a really good example.
upload_2020-10-2_1-59-41.png

Attachments

• tutorial_finished_model.AD_PKG
    835.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited: