What's new

3D Sketching

kdevoe

Does any one know of a good tutorial that I can use to learn how to use the 3d sketching in AD. I seem to be having a very tough time with it.

Thanks
Kevin

kdevoe

Thanks rgyuka, I'll give them a try.

You too MilesH, I can see in my mind what I want to draw in 3D but the program seems strange to use in 3D.

Kevin

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Biggest thing I've learned so far when using 3D Sketch is to double-check all your lines to make sure they really are pointing in the right direction. A lot of what I do with 3D Sketch is guide paths for bent tubing (for our engine guards, a retro front fender "bumper", etc.), and it's easy to think you've got a line constrained to run parallel to an axis or something, but in reality it's ever so slightly off at an angle. It's a good idea to give all the nodes in the Sketch a little tug before you finalize it, to make sure they stay put. :)

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Kevin,

Only a small hint, please activate the grid in 3D sketch mode. ( 10 x 10 x 10 )
The grid is useful for the orientation of the active sketch plane/wich is the active sketch plane.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
ralf3 said:
Only a small hint, please activate the grid in 3D sketch mode. ( 10 x 10 x 10 )
The grid is useful for the orientation of the active sketch plane/wich is the active sketch plane.

Yes, I was grateful for this tip, when you posted it before, Ralf.

Would be nice to have some kind of highlighting on the Plane frame itself, though....

MilesH

Alibre Super User
More tips:

If you create a Plane outside of 3D Sketch and then select it before entering the 3D Sketch, it will then be the active Plane within the Sketch.

Make good use of construction lines.......

kdevoe

Thanks all, the activate grid and select plane before open sketch helped a lot.

I hate working with the grid turned on but it is a great visual aid in 3D sketching to get on the right plane.

Kevin

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Kevin, yes me too :lol: Grid is for 2D ACAD blondes, but in the 3D sketch creation, it is very helpfull.