What's new

3D Systems Sense: a 3D scanner

bemfarmer

Has anyone used one of these scanners?
What is your opinion of them, and how do they compare with say the kinnect?

- Brian

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
albie0803 said:
I would also like to know how practical this is for engineering purposes.

The Sense FAQ seems to be claiming 0.025" resolution. That doesn't sound too practical for engineering to me, but not too bad for scanning people or objects and making crude 3D prints of them.

Mike

autocart

Hi,
the full answer from the FAQ (http://cubify.com/en/Info/FAQSense) is:

"What is the resolution of scans from Sense 3D scanner?
It varies. At the highest resolution, the point-to-point spacing will be around 0.025 inches, and you will get scans ranging from about 20,000 to 400,000 triangles"

As far as I know the 3DS Sense uses the technology of Primesense. It is the same technology as found in the Kinect from Microsoft (available for Xbox and for Windows), in the Xtion from Asus and in the Carmine from Primesense themselfs. (See also http://wiki.ipisoft.com/Depth_Sensors_Comparison.)

My research (form reading and watching a lot of infos on the internet - but no actual testing myself) regarding scanners with that technology says that the scanner does not recognize objects or gaps smaller than 1/3 of an inch anymore. The overall dimensions of a big object, as far as I read, can also differ from the real object's dimensions by that amount, namely by about 1/3 of an inch. Maybe the technology used in the 3DSystems Sense scanner has been developed further for a better resolution over the last year or so but I seriously doubt it. Especially since the 3DS Sense costs about 400 US-Dollars. Real professional handheld mechanical scanners with a fine and accurate resolution start at about 6000 US-Dollars.

Regards, Stephan

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
From what I've seen, and what I've tried with an Asus Xtion Pro

Getting a usable scan can be tricky - background, speed of movement, performance of computer all have a bearing.

I don't see this as a precision tool, but I can see applications where it should be good enough - say your design has to fit into an odd shaped space between other items, scan them in situ and import the scan for reference.

I suspect that use out in industrial settings is probably asking too much of these devices, but it will be interesting to hear what others have found.

Also - now that v16 has mesh import, we can import data from other scanner systems. It would be good to hear from those who might have experience with other low lost scanning technologies. Geomagic also has the 'Capture' blue light scanner - rather more precise, but only being supplied with high end reverse engineering software.