What's new

64 Bit 2011 and Step Files

fitzbond

Is anyone else having step file import problems using 64bit 2011?
For some reason 2011 Alibre does not recognize a step file extension for import I tried to associate the file with Alibre program in 64 bit window so that it could open and Alibre was not on the program list even when browse to select Alibre it when not except it as a program to open the file. Thinking it might be a 2011 problem I tried v12.1 the program at least recognized the step file but failed to import so I tried a 2006 version of Solidworks still on my system and it imported the step file :evil: then I saved as a Solidworks assembly then Alibre opened the Solidworks assembly file, that should not be right.

Attachments

• Light Fixture Rev 10 Heat Sink.stp
    891 KB · Views: 81

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried importing from inside Alibre rather than just double clicking the file? That out to set up the association.

fitzbond

DavidJ said:
Have you tried importing from inside Alibre rather than just double clicking the file? That out to set up the association.

Yes I have and Alibre does not see the file at all.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
This Kubotek file contains "Points".
After removing this "Points" you can import this *stp file without problems.
It would be great, if we can get an -> Import skip button, like -> Skip Curves and Points

Please take a look and the new *stp file I have attached.

Attachments

• Light Fixture Rev 10 Heat Sink-new.zip
    259.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 3D-Points.jpg
    3D-Points.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 106

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
ralf3 said:
This Kubotek file contains "Points".
After removing this "Points" you can import this *stp file without problems.
It would be great, if we can get an -> Import skip button, like -> Skip Curves and Points

Please take a look and the new *stp file I have attached.

How did you manage to get the right answer.... Ralf... I wonder. :shock:

What a great work.... :shock:

Or..
Is it just the Exper(ience)t sense... :mrgreen: (I cannot stop admiring a person who dedicates this much...)
I'm learning, thank you, Ralf.

ASP

ok... and how would you do it without ?
I mean if AD is your only 3D CAD software ?
Or does that mean that Alibre is not able to open this file in any case ?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
No, with SWX 2010 for example, the points are automatically "Skiped" during the import without a warning message.

Therefore, it would be great, if we can get an -> Import skip button, like -> Skip Curves and Points.

Attachments

• SWX-2010-points.jpg
    SWX-2010-points.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 92

ASP

ok, but when there is possibility to save points within STEP Files,
why shouldn't there be an option to import them ? - for whatever reason
they could be helpfull or needed.

DaveHufford

In my design work, I am involved with several customers that each has a CAD program that they use. Of course, none of these programs are inexpensive, so the one-man shop tries to survive with programs that are multi-purpose. I do get frustrated with programs that advertise the ability to work with file types x-y-z, yet fail to really function when I use them. I need the ability to function with whatever language the file type is, in this case, STP.

I could not open the original "Light Fixture Rev10 Heat Sink.stp", in AD 2011 Expert. I could open the "New" STP file provided by Ralf. I do not possess all of the tools, and knowledge, that Ralf has. I do appreciate his forum insights.

In an attempt to "do it myself", I opened the original "STP" file in IMSI Design's TurboCAD V17P. The file opened and displayed the Heat Sink. I then saved the file as a STEP file, in TurboCAD.

I could then import the STEP file in Alibre Design and it opened, displaying the Heat Sink. The color has changed, gray-black, but seems to have the function of the "STP" file. AT least this approach lets me open the file on my computer. Perhaps this will help others.