What's new

9.1 problems with autocad drawings

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
9.1 problems with autocad drawings

Has anyone had any success since 9.1 importing autocad drawings? I have drawings that imported fine in earlier versions that I can't do anything with in Alibre 9.1. I know that I can open them in other programs such as ProgeCad but they should be able to be imported into Alibre.

mub

Yes - I have this Problems too. Older versions of Autocad drawings usualy open without any problems but the hatches.

It seems like a bug - the Alibre Drawing server is looking for some none existing paths...

I dont understand that much about this things but have a look to the screenshot of my monitor (while opening)

https://www.alibre.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3300

robdavis

Try http://www.autodwg.com/

They have a range of DXF - DWG - PDF - file version conversion software. They have a 15 day trial and a reasonable purchase price. I have recently used it to convert AutoCAD 2007 to the 2000 version of DWG successfully.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Just as a sidebar to issues you are having, I just tried to import a drawing and all I got were dimensions-- no part. My layer coloers were all right, and I even tried changing the colors in the original AutoCAD drawing to see if that had an effect. It did not. Taking a closer look at it I found that everything on the drawing was a solid. Then I looked at who made the drawing and found my name on it... :shock: No wonder I switched to Alibre!

Anyway, you can't import a solid directly from an AutoCAD drawing.

Regards,

Jordan

mub

Jordan,

I very often import solids directly from Autocad. As long you save it as a ACIS solid body it should work.
Of course, 3D DWG's not because Alibre opens DWG's as a drawing file, not as a part.
If you want to import solids in Autocad, eport it as a ACIS 7.0 file.
At least Autocad 2006 imports none higher versions of ACIS.

Anyway... I finish work now and go to enjoy the weekend!

Cheers

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

robdavis said:
Try http://www.autodwg.com/

They have a range of DXF - DWG - PDF - file version conversion software. They have a 15 day trial and a reasonable purchase price. I have recently used it to convert AutoCAD 2007 to the 2000 version of DWG successfully.

LOL...this might sound bad to post here but.....Solidworks has free dwg tools for autocad. I have the plugin from them and I use AC 2000. Using those plugins from Solidworks I can open any version of DWG into the AC 2000.

You can get it from their web sight and never upgrade AC again!

dgstoll

Re:

You can get it from their web sight and never upgrade AC again

SW's acad translator works great and has convinced me there is no reason to upgrade acad again. acad 2006,2007 have viturally no improvements for 2d and with Alibre who needs their 3d...I hope to work with their edrawing program to work with someone who has SW2005 and never upgraded...
daveS

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Perhaps I wasn't too clear on what I was saying. If you try to import an AutoCAD Drawing, Alibre will ignore any solids in the AutoCAD drawing. Hence it is not a direct import. BTW I'm only up to AC2004 here, and a good portion of my co-workers have 2000... Ah, well. This is why I went to Electrical Engineering... Most of my work can be done with a paper towel and a crayon... :wink:

Regards,

Jordan

indesign

Alibre Super User

Jordan,

Get the dwg tools from the solidworks files to help with saving to older formats and opening newer formats from other companies. As for solids...they should be exported from AC as an iges and then Alibre can open.

robdavis

Re:

Solidworks has free dwg tools for autocad.

I haven't downloaded this but note that it is only currently up to 2006 ie. want convert 2007 DWG files. The download from http://www.autodwg.com/ will convert 2007 DWG files.

It is likely that the next edition of Alibre will also handle AC 2007 files because Alibre is a member of the Open Design Alliance - an alliance of hundreds of CAD development groups that are determined to maintain an open DWG format. They have recently cracked the 2007 DWG format. http://www.opendesign.com/News/news.htm Solidworks is also a member of the alliance.

I work for a factory owned by major multination food company. We were considering upgrading our AC LT 2002 licence but are so disgusted by the AC current pricing and licence policy that we are determined to find alternatives. The current solution is to stick with AC 2002 and use ProgeCAD and AutoDWG for file conversion. The factory is not yet directly into 3D (except me personally) but when we do AutoDESK will not even be on the menu – Alibre will be.

JordanCClark

Alibre Super User

Sorry, it wasn't a complaint on my part, it was just an observation. My problem was that I didn't remember I had done it as a solid in AutoCAD. If you don't happen to know it in the first palce, then I can see where it would become really frustrating. And, hopefully, it will help someone else out along the way. :)

Regards,

Jordan

Re:

JordanCClark said:
Perhaps I wasn't too clear on what I was saying. If you try to import an AutoCAD Drawing, Alibre will ignore any solids in the AutoCAD drawing.

Thanks for that tip. I just installed Alibre and I'm trying it out for the first time by importing some Autocad 2002 stuff. You saved me from tearing out the other half of my hair :wink:

It would be a big plus if the dxf and dwg imports warned you of this!

Richard