What's new

9.1 Upgrade and PDF Publish

Taarak

9.1 Upgrade and PDF Publish

This being my first post, I wish to say how informative and helpful this forum has been to me over the last year. When I run into an obstacle, this is usually the first and last place I need to look. And before I ask any questions, just a quick comment:

Alibre is a great product, with a great underlying design. I’ve been in software development for nearly 20 years, and if I were to develop a 3D Cad package from scratch, it would look like this. 9.0 seemed to fix some memory leaks that were running amok, and though UI interaction between the tree, assembly panel, and child windows still needs tweaking (lost focus, selection jumping, etc.), the usage is intuitive and the learning curve is low. I’ve never done CAD work before, and did a lot of shopping before selecting Alibre. It was the best choice - Great job!

I just upgraded to 9.1 tonight, and was really looking forward to the 3d PDF publishing. Upgrade went smoothly, and I updated PhotoRender too with no problems.

I read up on what Adobe was doing with Acrobat 3d, but never saw it working. Now that I’ve used it - wow (and what I mean by that is WOW!) The rendering and lighting options make it close to PhotoRender in quality, and MUCH faster. I love the Shaded Illustration view too. Here’s some questions…

1) After experimenting with the “Publish to PDF” on one assembly a few times, the “Publish to PDF” from the file menu greyed out. The toolbar option worked a few more times then that greyed out. I can still create a PDF from other assemblies, but not from the first one. It seemed to happen when the Publish Wizard failed while I was viewing a PDF with Adobe Reader. Restarting/ReBooting doesn’t help. Is this a bug?
2) Why weren’t some standard defaults included in the PDF Publish Wizard? Simple things like Background, Render Mode, and Lighting.
3) It’s interesting that if you publish more than once to the same PDF file, it appends the file rather than overwriting – nice feature! But is there any way to include other Views?
4) There are two different versions of PDF Publish, with and without the Model Tree. Since I have Expert, I get the Model Tree – but I don’t want it. I would rather have an option whether to include it or not. Is that possible?
5) Finally (and this may be a Reader problem) – the Rotate axis on my published assembly seems to be off in never never land. I have to zoom out too far to see the rotation. I know pressing the Shift while rotating the assembly zooms in and out, but the axis seems to be 100’ in front of the drawing. Is this a default somewhere I can change?

I’ve used Alibe to do most of the graphics on my web site http://www.sunergytech.com . I wanted to use the PDF for better documentation.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob DeCuir
Sunergy Technologies, Inc.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Hi Bob,

5) Right-Click Part/Assembly in the Model Tree and choose "Zoom to Part" - that will reset the centre of rotation as well. I'm not sure whose problem this is......but it needs attention.

Taarak

Thanks Miles.

That worked. I don't know why the rotation point was set so far off on this assembly, on some others I tried it was fine.

Also, the greyed out Menu and Toolbar, has something to do with section views...I'm still playing with it.

Bob

steved

PDF publishing

Hi Bob

Currently PDF publishing does no work with section views, this is planned for a later release.

Cheers

Steve