What's new

A Glorious 4th of July to All in the USA!!

A Glorious 4th of July to All in the USA!!

As we celebrate the birth of our nation, I just wanted to say:

God Bless You All and God Bless America! :D

Mibe

Alibre Super User

Hrm... this is an international forum :)

P.S. Did i mention that the city I live in was founded +1000 years ago ;)

Mibe

Alibre Super User

By italians, right? :) (just kidding)

But was'nt the "old" London destroyed and then rebuilt hundreds of years later? Not to good at history, but I think I saw a tv program about that...

Please note that I intentionally put "to All in the USA" in the subject line.

I did that for those on this forum who may not be from the USA, so that they could freely choose to ignore the post.

:D

MikeB

Re:

Kugelsicher said:

I did that for those on this forum who may not be from the USA, so that they could freely choose to ignore the post.

Kugel, You will have to cut Miles a little slack. Being from the UK he may be a little sensitive about the "Independence Day" thing! :wink:

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

MikeB said:
Kugelsicher said:

Kugel, You will have to cut Miles a little slack. Being from the UK he may be a little sensitive about the "Independence Day" thing! :wink:

< :wink: Keeping big mouth shut!

swertel

Alibre Super User
Re:

MikeB said:

Not as sensitive as most of my Native American friends celebrating Thanksgiving. One of my friends grandma's sayings - "We've could've stopped it then."

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Let me congratulate my US friends for the brave people that gave birth to their country over 200 years ago. I don't beleive in war but I do celebrate braveness.

Also, let me share that in my view, 200 years later, the concept of "independence" is fading. I think the world today is a lot more about "dependence".

Borders fade, walls fall, our electronic net touches every corner of our earth and we find ourselves facing each other in awe, closer than ever before, just to discover that there was nothing to discover. It's as if the screen was a mirror in which no matter where you point at, you keep seeing yourself. Yourself dressed with a tunic or wearing a kimono, yourself with a long beard or dark skin, yourself riding a camel or driving a car, yourself caring for your children and trying to make the best of your time as the same sun passed above all of our heads.

MikeB

Re:

Gaspar said:
Let me congratulate my US friends for the brave people that gave birth to their country over 200 years ago. I don't beleive in war but I do celebrate braveness.

Also, let me share that in my view, 200 years later, the concept of "independence" is fading. I think the world today is a lot more about "dependence".

Borders fade, walls fall, our electronic net touches every corner of our earth and we find ourselves facing each other in awe, closer than ever before, just to discover that there was nothing to discover. It's as if the screen was a mirror in which no matter where you point at, you keep seeing yourself. Yourself dressed with a tunic or wearing a kimono, yourself with a long beard or dark skin, yourself riding a camel or driving a car, yourself caring for your children and trying to make the best of your time as the same sun passed above all of our heads.

That's pretty good Gaspar! 8) If this engineering thing doesn't work out I think you have a future as a writer! I have had the chance to do a little traveling the last couple of years (went to Peru on a mission trip and just got back from a trip to Yellowstone and S. Dakota on my motorcycle) and you are right; people are pretty much the same no matter where they are from. We all have the same dreams, hopes and needs.

On our recent trip we met people working in the tourist areas from Russia, Poland, Jamaica and Belarus among others. I enjoyed asking them about where they come from and what it is like there. What was really neat was being at Mount Rushmore a couple of days before the 4th and meeting people from every country imaginable.

I hope we don't all become too dependant (unless it is dependant on God! :) ) Most of the great accompishments in history were made by those brave enough to go against the flow and think outside the box! I also hope we don't get too isolated from each other on account of our computers, I wish I could visit with you in person rather than through this keyboard. :(

Oh, a couple of other things; it is really scary trying to picture myself (old fat guy) in a tunic or kimono! Also, it should be, "yourself riding a camel or driving a car or riding a MOTORCYCLE" :wink:

Anyway, I really enjoyed what you wrote. You are a very thoughtful guy. I am pretty gealous of you too. I have seen your picture on the Alibre website. You have that Ricky Martin kinda thing going for you! I on the other hand.... Well, I look a little more like Fred Flintstone!

Here is to meeting you guys in person some day!

jwknecht

Alibre Super User
Re:

MikeB said:
....I have seen your picture on the Alibre website. You have that Ricky Martin kinda thing going for you! I on the other hand.... Well, I look a little more like Fred Flintstone!

LOL

Mike, I can't keep you in the dark for long. That photo is not really Gaspar. Somewhere in an early post to this forum, we had that discussion. Gaspar pointed us to a post of his real picture (you might think he is better looking than Ricky Martin :wink: ).

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for your comments :oops: . I said this to you once before, but I also thank you for sending us a blessing every time you post.

Great thing about your mission trip and your bike rides.

Engineering Vs Writting... I mess up a lot on both fields, but when I finally get it right, I enjoy it so much more when some one happens to like what I write, play or sing than a nice set of Acis solids in a hard drive.

Like you, I wish I could meet a lot of this community in person, a bunch of great and fun fellows lurk around this forum. But in the mean time, it's so nice to at least cyber-know them as we learn along.

Finally, John is right (I knew some one would ruin that Ricky Martin comment, thanks John), the picture in the Alibre page is not me, but the phrases about Alibre are correct (mine). This is me.

delboy

Hi Gasper

I look in the forums but don't write very often, But when we have such excellent people like yourself with such high ideals and thoughts one has to say something. Even in these troubled times, the future of the world is assured through forums like this when good people from various backgrounds and cultures can discuss common problems be it engineering or other subjects, and yes to all my American friends I hope you all did have a good 4th and wasn't it good to see the shuttle take off with no problems. My wife and I got up early on the 5th to see the launch.

Delboy.

MikeB

Re:

Gaspar said:
Hey Mike,

Thanks so much for your comments :oops: . I said this to you once before, but I also thank you for sending us a blessing every time you post.

Great thing about your mission trip and your bike rides.

Engineering Vs Writting... I mess up a lot on both fields, but when I finally get it right, I enjoy it so much more when some one happens to like what I write, play or sing than a nice set of Acis solids in a hard drive.

Like you, I wish I could meet a lot of this community in person, a bunch of great and fun fellows lurk around this forum. But in the mean time, it's so nice to at least cyber-know them as we learn along.

Finally, John is right (I knew some one would ruin that Ricky Martin comment, thanks John), the picture in the Alibre page is not me, but the phrases about Alibre are correct (mine). This is me.

Well, you are still a lot better looking than me! Hey, I don't know if anyone has done this before but it might be fun to post pictures of ourselves so that we can put a face with the names? What do you think?

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

delboy said:
...Even in these troubled times, the future of the world is assured through forums like this when good people from various backgrounds and cultures can discuss common problems be it engineering or other subjects...

Agreed 100 %. It's nice to live in an era of better hopes !

delboy said:
...wasn't it good to see the shuttle take off with no problems...

The shuttle. That is one beautiful piece of engineering and a great accomplishment. It's amazing how little coverage a shuttle launch gets, same as 2 robots rolling over Mars or Cassini speeding past Jupiter and its moons.

MikeB said:
...Hey, I don't know if anyone has done this before but it might be fun to post pictures of ourselves so that we can put a face with the names? What do you think?...

I think that would be great. This forum (PHPbb) supports adding avatars, just the same as you add your signature. I wonder why the admins don't allow for it.

MikeB

MikeB wrote:
...Hey, I don't know if anyone has done this before but it might be fun to post pictures of ourselves so that we can put a face with the names? What do you think?...

I think that would be great. This forum (PHPbb) supports adding avatars, just the same as you add your signature. I wonder why the admins don't allow for it.

Well, we know what Ricky, er I mean, Gaspar looks like. Here is a picture of me. Hope it doesn't scare anyone. :shock:

Gaspar

Alibre Super User
Re:

MikeB said:
...Well, we know what Ricky, er I mean, Gaspar looks like. Here is a picture of me. Hope it doesn't scare anyone. :shock:

Wow :shock: ....Sorry Mike, it's not about you. Those mountains on the back ground sure look better than my brick wall. What a place !!!

About you, I can pretty well picture you riding your bike. We would need a girl's opinion to tell for sure, but I don't think you're that ugly. Nice, friendly smile. That's all I can ask for (the "friendly" thing picks up relevance when you look so much stronger than myself).

MikeB

Re:

Gaspar said:
MikeB said:
...Well, we know what Ricky, er I mean, Gaspar looks like. Here is a picture of me. Hope it doesn't scare anyone. :shock:

Wow :shock: ....Sorry Mike, it's not about you. Those mountains on the back ground sure look better than my brick wall. What a place !!!

About you, I can pretty well picture you riding your bike. We would need a girl's opinion to tell for sure, but I don't think you're that ugly. Nice, friendly smile. That's all I can ask for (the "friendly" thing picks up relevance when you look so much stronger than myself).

That was the only picture I had access to of myself here at the office. (Brought in the vacation pictures from last week.) The picture was taken from the top of the Grand Tetons. Went through Estes park, the Tetons, Yellowstone, Custer State Park, the Badlands, Needles Highway (pretty fun on a bike! :D ) and Rushmore. I must say the Tetons were my favorite, pretty awe inspiring.

Anybody else want to show us your mug? Indesign: your picture can't be all that bad. I have been to Tennessee and didn't see anything ugly down there. Pretty state. I love the Chattanooga area. 8)

mtauer

Mike:

Where was that picture taken from in the Tetons? (OK let me guess, Mount Rendezvous) I worked in Yellowstone for two summers and did ALOT of backpacking in the Yellowstone/Teton region including climbing Middle and South Teton. I have to agree with you about the Tetons, I absolutely love them. :D They look flat (like a painting) from Moose, but backpack into them 12 miles and its another world. I miss them a great deal living out east.

This post is a very cool side-bar

Happy belated fourth!

Mark