What's new

AC Motor Models

leeave96

AC Motor Models

Anyone know of a source of single and three phase AC motors that have 3D solid models available for download? We use Baldor and Marathon, but I cannot find anything other than 2D drawings of them.

A source of 3D models that we could drop into a mechanical assembly would be great.

Thanks!
Bill

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User

I'm assumming that anyone messing with mechanical design (most of us here, right??) knows about McMaster Carr.
If not, they are the most comprehensive & competent distributor of all things mechanical that I know. Yes, you can probably find most things for less money, but where time is has a value......maybe not. By the way, their website is about as good a catalog website as I have ever seen.
Endorsment mode off

Go to http://www.Mcmaster.com, the website for Mcmaster-Carr and select a motor that is similar to the one you are working on.

McM-Crr does not reveal the manufacturers name in in its literature but if you are looking for a representative NEMA 48 motor, for instance, you can find one there and dnld a model in many formats.
I have just done that and was able to get a very decent looking 1/4 HP Nema 42 motor in both STEP and SAT formats.
The STEP file even came in with the Motor mounting foot and Body mounted capacitor as separate items (which can be turned off, relocated or modified)
The files were large, 5 - 6 meg each, but nicely done.

Bill, I also have the Leeson and Baldor catalogs on CD somewhere around here. I'll look to see of there are any models on them

Jim
aka Jimpulse

markhas

McMaster-Carr!, UPS!?

Coming from Milwaukee the former machine shop of the world. We'd sometimes use McMaster-Carr as a referance and than order from the local distributor. If we had the order in by 9:00 A.M. it'd be delivered by 3:00 P.M. with a cigar. If you needed it faster or were late ordering you could always have it hand delivered by a multitude of means.

Than I went to work for Hughes Tool in Huston. McMaster-Carr was the only thing in town and freight from Chicago, New York, or LA took a minimum of three days. Completing projects became as slow as molassas in January. Must be that loud sucking sound Ross Peroe was talking about. Best Store in town???

But it's good to know we can down load 3D stuff from them. That will speed things up a little...