What's new

ACAM 2.0 Standard and .stp/.sat models

Dave H

Can AlibreCAM 2.0 standard (the version that WAS free with Alibre Expert) be used to CAM imported STEP or SAT models?
Whether generated from GD or not? Can't seem to figure it out. No problems with GD models just choosing sketches.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - but you may have to manually add some sketches using 'project to sketch' to drive some of the machining...

Dave H

DavidJ said:
Yes - but you may have to manually add some sketches using 'project to sketch' to drive some of the machining...

Ahhh, never thought of that!
Every machined feature in ACAM 2.0 is driven by a sketch? Machining can't be driven by graphically selecting model features?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Holes can be driven by selecting the face the holes are on - you'll have to use the size filter to avoid an extra hole in centre of face.

Anything beyond that you'll have to play.

BTW VisualCAM for Geomagic Design includes a FreeMILL mode which does not require a licence - as far as I can see this is pretty much equivalent to the ACAM Xpress of earlier versions. Simply download the software from Mecsoft.

Dave H

DavidJ said:
BTW VisualCAM for Geomagic Design includes a FreeMILL mode which does not require a licence - as far as I can see this is pretty much equivalent to the ACAM Xpress of earlier versions. Simply download the software from Mecsoft.

I tried the Freemill (not for GM) a while ago, and I believe it only allowed parallel roughing. No profiling. The version of ACAM 2.0 that I have I think was called the Standard version. It does allow profiling, parallel roughing and finishing, and drilling. I don't see how a hole, or other close to round milled out shape can be done like that. If it can, it seems like it would be incredibly inefficient. I do think it allowed choosing model features though. Not just sketches.

fabcadmz

Dave H said:
Every machined feature in ACAM 2.0 is driven by a sketch? Machining can't be driven by graphically selecting model features?
All 2 1/2 Axis operations must have a sketch to drive the toolpath. For 3 Axis toolpaths, a sketch can be used for a containment region.
Alibre CAM 3 was the first version to allow selection of model edges as a containment region.

Dave H

I have also very recently realized that I cannot use linear copied, circular copied, or mirrored features to be used to drive the machining process. I have to project them to a new sketch, then use that sketch. Is that how it works for these features of a model?

fabcadmz

Copied or mirrored features copies only the feature not the sketch. For 2 1/2 axis toolpaths you will have to project to new sketch, as those toolpaths are not driven by the 3d model geometry, only a sketch. If you have the toolpath editor option (depends on your level of CAM) you can copy or mirror toolpaths created from a single sketch.