What's new

Add/Edit Holes from within Alibre

GDBranch

I have made the suggestion that the menu for adding holes to a part also include the ability to edit the database from within Alibre. I don't think it should be necessary to exit Alibre and use other vendors software to change something that could be done within Alibre.
Typically, for me, all I need is to change the tap drill size based on the process or material I'm using.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I think he is meaning that there should be a builtin thread editor rather then manually editing the thread definition file with notepad or similar text editor ... and I totally agree. If functinality is provided then a user friendly editor should be provided too. Same goes for the 3d printer xml!

(1) The alibre_unicode_... files only get "read" when Alibre is started. [Not, mind you, that I oppose changing this.] (2) The diameter of a pilot hole for tapping only affects the percentage of full thread created. (3) What changes by material (and type of tap being uses) is how far beyond the full-thread tap depth the pilot hole should extend. Otherwise, all tapped holes of a given full thread percentage use the same pilot drill diameter.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I think he is meaning that there should be a builtin thread editor rather then manually editing the thread definition file with notepad or similar text editor ... and I totally agree. If functinality is provided then a user friendly editor should be provided too. Same goes for the 3d printer xml!
+1

JST

Alibre Super User
Or, perhaps, a simpler approach would be to just allow that to be changed in a custom manner when in the hole tool.

I'm not against editing the list from within Alibre, but that is cumbersome for single uses, or uses in just a few cases. Just an on-the-fly custom size would be best.

Just as with other such things, either use the preset choices, or set the hole yourself.

Presently, when you set the threads, the hole size gets greyed out and is no longer available, you choose from a limited set of choices (minor, pitch diameter, major or "tapping size"). If you don't like that tapping size you have to edit the list.

It does not seem to be a major problem to allow a custom "tapping size" in the hole tool that is active for that use of the tool only. The default would be used next time, unless you again choose the custom size.

In fact, the two ideas may combine well.... have a "store to list" option as part of the custom size, which allows editing the name for the new entry.

Obviously the minor, pitch, and major diameters are fixed.

I'd like to have a "clearance" choice as well, so that one could get a clearance hole that would change along with the screw/bolt size.

That way a generic clearance would not need to be separately changed, or specifically dimensioned. Could live without that, but the custom tapping size is needed.

Last edited:

GDBranch

As an example I want to put several 8-32 tapped holes in a part. The holes must be .136" diameter in the 2D drawing so that it will be imported properly to my CAM software and the manufacturing drawing will be able to use "callouts" with correctly stated drill size. To make this happen I have to exit my drawing and shut Alibre down. Now search for the unicode file, open it with a text editor, modify it, save it, exit the text editor, open Alibre, open my part file and NOW I can add the holes IF I made no errors with the text editor. Why can't I just open the Hole tool, create a new 8-32 tapped hole with a .136" drill from within Alibre.
I don't see this as much different then working with the dimensions tool in Alibre. Can you imagine having to leave Alibre to search out a file with a text editor because you'd like one of the items in a dimension changed?

JST

Alibre Super User
Agree.

The custom hole size option would handle that on the spot.

If it had the option to store the new size in the unicode file, that would be even better.

GD -- Do a "search" here for Thread File Editor what you are asking for was created last fall. owever, if you do not understand the relationship between Pilot Hole Diameter and Percentage of Full Thread Strength you have a good chance of blowing holes in your toes.

GDBranch

Lew I did your search and read every post. I'd read it before but I reread it for you. I think it's wonderful that albie0803 went to all that trouble, and you went through the trouble of working with his add on. I applaud you. But I'm still missing your point Lew. The tap drill size for 75% threads in a 8-32 threaded hole is .136". My CAM software for my circuit board drilling equipment takes the imported DXF file from Alibre verbatim. If the DXF file shows the hole at .130" (Alibre 2B) or .139" (Alibre 3B) it will reject it because there are no standard drills of that size. So back to my original request, why can't I simply create/change the hole diameter from within Alibre because I need something different? I have the ability to tinker with with the text editor. I could tinker with albie0803's solution (no disrespect intended) but the BEST solution for me is to have the company that I faithfully have paid maintenance to for around 10 years to make a change to their software that so obviously needs to be fixed because the forum topic Thread File Editor even exists. If people are creating software workarounds because it's a big enough issue to some of us wouldn't it tend to indicate that Alibre maybe, sorta could look into it? If Alibre deals with it I would suspect that future upgrades of the software would include the change and I wouldn't need to rely on albie0803 to develop a new work around because Alibre changed something making it inoperable.

GD -- You are being "hung" on the "Hard Coded Values" that were created on the V10 release of Alibre Design (something about which I have been screaming ever since). They are (for me) a PITA because I have to "scroll past" them to get to my list of FED-STD-H28 entries that are valid. Using a definition of "8-32" has no value if you need to reject a part. The "legal" definition is ".1640-32UNC-XX" (where "XX defines Class of Fit and Male or Female thread). My alibre_unicode_custom.thd file even differentiates pilot drill (the formally correct term often called Tap Drill) used for cut tap and rolled tap threaded holes.

I suspect that the "source" for this data was the same as for the nearly completely useless File Properties->General->Part Data waste of space!

albie0803

Alibre Super User
I fully agree that the hard coded values should be removed and supplied on install as a basic thread file, there should be interchangeable files for different thread callout styles, the files should be editable when called up and should be read when ever a thread file is changed or edited.

We could then have different callout thread files as resources for those who need them, supplied by those of us who have already built them.

Let us be clear, when defining "tapped" threaded holes, there are two "depth" dimensions that need to be specified -- the "depth" of the "Pilot Drilled Hole" and the "Fully Threaded Tapped Depth." As it sits right now only the "Pilot Hole Depth" may be assigned to an Equation Editor Variable. All "Feature Dimensions" need to be able to be assigned to an Equation Editor Variable!