What's new

Add/Posistion object relative to another

IMK

Hello,
I am using Alibre Design Xpress 11.2 and am trying to design a crankshaft the problem I am having is how to add/position the next crankpin.
I know how to select the surface of the counterweight to add the pin but I want to potion it relative (120 deg) to the crankpin I have already drawn.
Please see attached Crank-1.AD_PRT file.
Many thanks IMK

Attachments

• Crank-1.AD_PRT
    123.5 KB · Views: 4

Dave H

View your crank from the end you wish to add the new pin to. Be sure the existing pin is in the 12 'o' clock position. Select that surface, sketch a 3 unit diameter circle representing the new pin on that surface. Not on center, and not on a primary axis (horiz. or vert.). Draw a reference line from the center of the crank vertically, essentially going through the center of the existing pin. Length does not matter. Draw another reference line from the center of the crank to the center of the newly sketched circle (pin). Dimension between the reference lines with the 120 degree angle, and dimension the new sketch circle to be 3.5 units from the crank center (same as existing pin). Extrude the new sketch 5 units away from the surface.

I would post a file, but you would not be able to open it since you have an older version. BTW, all your extrusions showed up as hollow on my screen. Never seen that before. :?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
To fix apparent 'hollow' extrusions - set rendering quality to a higher level.

IMK

Dave many thanks for the reply and ill have a go at it when I sort the next problem please.
Which is how to I make sure the current pin is at the top/vertical please?
Many thanks ian

IMK

Dave I think I have got it!
Many thanks IMK

Attachments

• Crank-1.AD_PRT
    260 KB · Views: 3

Dave H

Bingo! (Almost)
Only things I noticed were the last pin was not dimensioned angularly (120 deg.). And (I think) the second and third pins were either not dimensioned from the center of the crank, or dimensioned horizontally. You should go from crank center to pin center along the 120 degree angle. (3.5mm)
Just my 2 cents.....