What's new

Adding a texture in Atom3d

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
You can model diamond knurl. Not sure what kind of bumps you want but they would have to be modeled also. Wood grain - not so much but, in KeyShot you can apply a wood grain texture.

Here's a image of knurl and bumps on a flat surface, not sure if that's what you want, but be aware that these features take a lot of compute power, and time, to regen and rebuild.
knurl and bump.jpg

Last edited:

techogre

Welp, KeyShot is not for me. I'm just a hobbiest and can't justify $1200 per year.

If I find something I'll keep you up to date.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
You can model wood grain as well but it's time consuming.

I believe a Keyshot version is still included in sales of Alibre Design Expert - which is a permanent license not a subscription. Alibre Design Expert is on sale right now and if you contact sales - I've heard they can do upgrade pricing too. Just FYI Keyshot can be a bit overwhelming with all the options, so be sure to check out tutorials.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The Lite version of Simlab Composer is free - it's still fairly capable. Might be worth a look as an alternative to Keyshot.

TwinStar

I'm going to piggyback on this thread as I need to do something somewhat similar with texture/engraving. I'm assisting a friend with a project and need to find a way to model this engraved 'rope'. It will be printed in HO scale (1:87.1) so it doesn't have to be exact but merely representative. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_512E02A19ED3-1.jpeg
    IMG_512E02A19ED3-1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 22

Ex Machina

As well as all of the great ideas above, check this video out too. Some really innovative thinking behind adding textures.

TwinStar

Thank you both and I apologize for the delay in responding. This project has grown and I got side tracked handling other issues. I'll take a look at both methods.

Thanks!!

Jacob