What's new

Adding Dimensions for revolved parts

sbenzie

I primarly am using Alibre for design of revolved components, 2D sketch of engineering dimension, revolved. Then some external holes drilled @ angles etc.

I have not been able to us the parametric advantages of Alibre when producing the drawings. This is due to the fact that you connot add dimensions to a 2D section view that I require for the manufacure drawings, showing the inner & outer diameter profile of the cylindrical part [I think ??]

IS there anyone else using Alibre for these types of parts [Oil & Gas] that might have a work around, or some one who can adivse me what I doing wrong ??

I have been adding the dimensions manually to the drawing file, but if you change a dimension on the part file it is not updated ??

Best Regards,
Scott

p.s. Not being negative about the package, it`s great !!

rbrian

Hi Scott, While I don't have AD open right now to test your issues, I believe - you may have to set up a couple items in properties in the part file - (Show dimensions), and in the drawing file - check a box - to show dimensions.

I could be wrong - and since I am just going by memory, forgive me if I blew it, but check those two items and let me know if that does anything for you!

The second thing - if you edit the part file and the AD drawing file is open - it needs to be closed and re-opened to get the update from the part file sometimes. (Of course - you need to resave the part file with the update first, before closing and reopening the drawing file!!)

You also could either post in the Binaries - one sample (not exact particularly - but representative) for all of us to see your issues, or PM me a copy with the particulars you set up! Robert

rbrian

Parmetric usage - for revolves

sbenzie said:
I primarly am using Alibre for design of revolved components, 2D sketch of engineering dimension, revolved. Then some external holes drilled @ angles etc.
I have not been able to us the parametric advantages of Alibre when producing the drawings.

Scott, just thinking here - not much training in the tutorials on Parametric use and setups, so I will do what I can to help!

Here are some files, first dimension - the length of a sketch - D1=6.1". If I have this figured out right - you use from here on in - formulas related to D1 for all your dimensions - and if you adjust D1 - the rest will change also - proportionately! And - you might choose a different feature for D1, I just chose the overall length here!.
sbenzie_D1.jpg

Now - as you add dimensions - you need to put formulas between them - or between them and D1.
sbenzie_D2.jpg
sbenzie_D2e.jpg

sbenzie_D2e-r.jpg

If you have been doing it in this fashion - please let me know!
Also - you can use a reference line for your D1 starting point - just don't delete it!

Please note - you may need to adjust the sequence of features (lines, arcs) added and dimensioned somewhat to use this control technique.

See this sequence of pics here to see what I mean:
2nd D1; 2nd D2; 2nd D2e; 2nd D3; 2nd Edit 1; 2nd Edit 2; 2nd D4 + D5;

Thin Wall Revolve

And - here is the AD file if you want to see and play with it!

Hope this helps! Robert