What's new

Adding graphics to a curved surface

TimB

Hello,

I'm trying to add text and graphics to a curved surface. Its on a membrane of an enclosure. I managed to make the membrane and the buttons but not the text or graphics

I could spend ages getting a plane at the right angle and draw on the plane, extrude then slice the top to get the shape to match the curve.

There has to be an easier way.

Its for illustration purposes so also attached is the finished product and a PDF of the membrane

Any help appreciated

Thanks Tim

Attachments

• Enclosure 1.AD_PKG
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • meter.PNG
    meter.PNG
    223.1 KB · Views: 23
  • SQI-TM1 overlay Ver1.pdf
    80.8 KB · Views: 14

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Tim, I think your best option would be to render the model in KeyShot and apply your graphics as a label. You'll need to edit the image of the graphic to have only the "printed" parts (text, lines, logo, etc.) then use that as the label.

TimB

Hello Harold

I gave up on Keyshot. It will not wrap to the curve. I cannot believe it would be this hard.
I paid for the membrane to be added to the model but they did not get the layout right. So I said send me the files you used. I was done in Rhino, they sent the files but Alibre could not import them, They sent STEP files but apparently the membrane was done on a layer that Alibra will not import.

I went back to Keyshot. I will not place the label on the curved surface. Do I sound like I'm pissed off? It's because I am...

Tim

Attachments

• keyshot.PNG
    keyshot.PNG
    135.5 KB · Views: 11

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Tim,
If you export your model from Alibre to KeyShot each button ends up as a separate surface. So in order to place the button graphics I think you may need a separate image for each button, ie; UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, RETURN. Plus the Logo. In KS try applying the appropriate label to each individual button.

Not sure if you've seen it but this KeyShot Tutorial on Textures and Labels may give you some pointers. I have the link starting at the 8:13 mark for Labels. There is also this tutorial video just on Labels.

TimB

Thanks but as I said I solved it. I had to move the depth way up to 40 then it became fully visible.

BTW I was not trying to apply it to buttons. It was to the surface of the case. I removed the elements with the button on it

Attachments

• meter 2.PNG
    meter 2.PNG
    155.8 KB · Views: 13

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Glad you got it to work, I saw that you had the solution right after I posted my reply but I had to run and didn't have time to acknowledge your result.

There was a Quick Tip or Tutorial that I saw some time ago that talked about adjusting the depth of labels on curved surfaces.