What's new

Adobe 3D

indesign

Alibre Super User

But $995!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Geeeeeee. Get Alibre Xpress for free..... Hey Alibre...I got a marketing strategy for you. Alibre parts viewer to allow part transfer of step,iges,dxf,solidworks native, pro E native,etc. formats in a secure manner!

Just need to lock the files for viewing only then offer to everyone at no cost.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User

I've only browsed a short description in the new 3D feature, but it sounds like it allows incorporation of a 3-D illustration into a PDF file that is rotatable and possibly capable of manipulation in other ways. Being able to add that sort of illustration into a larger PDF file would be kind of neat, but not worth $1k to me.

Mike

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

I was interested that it captures the 3D data out of the graphics card and puts it in the PDF. So the image will rotate, zoom etc because the PDF has the data that is being used to drive the display in the cad system.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Some more info.
http://www.upfrontezine.com/2006/upf-458.htm

And for those who don't want to read it...
As I understand the technology based on this report, it won't work with Alibre because AD uses DirectX and not OpenGL for 3D image viewing/rendering.

Which makes me think how effective this is going to be with Windows Vista that limits OpenGL in favor of DirectX.

--Scott

jemmej

But the point is that Adobe 3D takes the 3D file and imbeds it into a reader file. The same reader that everyone and their brother has on their computers. The most techie illiterate can open a .pdf file and VOILA, 3D information and viewing. Pretty awesome if you ask me.

P-X

kreed

jemmej has it right. You can embed a 3D model into a pdf file which can be viewed by anyone with the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader.

At first I thought this was just eye candy, but it has turned out to be really important eye candy. It's already changing the way people do sales and tech pubs.

Bentley Systems and Adobe co-announced a 3D-in-pdf capability to the AEC sector last year and my group was embedding structural steelwork models in pdf files when it was still just a beta-capability in Acrobat 7.0 Professional. That capability was based on a 3rd-party u3d viewer that Adobe plugged into Acrobat. The models to be embedded had to be converted to u3d first.

As stated in other messages, this latest capability seems to go quite a bit further by extracting the model from the display list that feeds the graphics processor. Very cool.

Regards,
Kent

swertel

Alibre Super User

I like the reference to Inventor converting from OpenGL to DirectX in support of M$ tyranical views of limited support for OpenGL. That may just be the crux AD needs since it is already native to DirectX. If the competition is forced to recode to DirectX, that may just be the edge Alibre needs to gain some ground.

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Re:

indesign said:
But $995!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

Seems like a bargain to me :wink:

Here in the UK the price is equivalent to $1440 plus 17.5% Tax = $1692 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Just been playing with Acrobat 3D for 10 minutes (30 day trial on the Adobe website).

So far:

Imported a STEP file created from an AD Assembly - geometry not too good, very poor handling somewhere, not sure why...

Imported an STL file created from an AD Part - geometry fine; pity there's no way, that I can see, to open multiple STL objects into the same scene :?

Example here

Anyone else tried this program yet?

Gaspar

Alibre Super User

We use HSF format for sharing and it works very well. It even retains original Alibre colors in assemblies.

(If any one is courious, just visit our site and use the "Model Viewer" option. You can try a model called "AQ-91")

The only problem we've faced with some clients is that an active-X control is needed and some networks block them :?

Do you think this same problem will happen with 3d PDF's?

WoodWorks

Alibre Super User

Before Acrobat 3D, one way to create 3D cad graphics ifor Acrobat 7 was Deep Exploration from Right Hemisphere. For $100 you could create the graphics, and with a little work insert them into your Acrobat 7 created file. That was a bit of work, but cost a lot less than the $1000 they are trying to charge for 3D.

Unfortunately, it is the Right Hemisphere technology that Adobe purchased for Acrobat 3D, and it worked about as poorly transfering a model as Miles reports in this forum. There tended to be "faces" pointing inward that displayed at transparent. Most rendering applications deal with surfaces and not solids.

There are tutorials on the internet on how to insert U3Dformat graphics created by 3rd party applications into an Acrobat 7 PDF. I think there are two other vendors now supporting the U3D format. Check http://pdf3d.tripod.com/ for links to U3D demos and instructions. I did a few tests of simple models and found the animations to be slow.

Cameraman

I, too, was looking into Acrobat 3D, and I see the value in being able to send models that people can read with software that they already have, but I must say we've had very good luck using ModelPress to show new concepts to potential customers, and nobody has yet complained of having to download the free reader.

In fact, the only issue we've had with ModelPress is that we often have to close and restart AD after publishing a model because of some fatal error. But we don't need it every day, and it was included with the AD Pro license, so what the heck . . .

Regards,
Greg :D

andrzej

Re:

Gaspar said:
We use HSF format for sharing and it works very well. It even retains original Alibre colors in assemblies.

(If any one is courious, just visit our site and use the "Model Viewer" option. You can try a model called "AQ-91")

The only problem we've faced with some clients is that an active-X control is needed and some networks block them :?

Do you think this same problem will happen with 3d PDF's?

Hi, All
I prefer HSF format , Gaspar the same.
I found interesting viwer :
http://www.kubotekusa.com/products/spectrum/
This is a freeware ,read most a Cad FILE ( pro/e,sat,step,catia ...)
and I have a freeware version of Photoreander ,too.
Best Regards
Andrzej