What's new

advise on 3d printing

dlaery

Alibre Super User
here is a part, I think it would be easy to draw in Alibre, but would it be easy to 3d print?
using the cheaper filiment?
I think this is a gear shift for a boat, would this filiment be very strong?

Attachments

• handle.jpg
    handle.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 74
Definetly printable. You suggest "cheap" filament so I guess it is PLA. That is not very durable. So you maybe have to modifiy the part to make it more rigidt. For example thicken it, more infill ent stuff. Problem with PLA can be the coupling to the place it belongs. You have to make it stable enough to take the forces. Question is how much space you got.

And at least PLA is not good on temperature (softens in a car in the summer) and bad on UV resistance if I remember correctly.

EDIT: In case it was unclear. You can make it a "simple shape" the hollow outcuts and thin walls are only for saving cost on the injection molding. For printing I think it is easier to make such parts solid with a thick shell (more walls) and save a bit on the infill.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
Thanks for the info. I keep thinking I need one of these (3D printer) but don't know why.
the part in the pic is not available anymore and I was asked to make one.

You recognize you needed a 3d printer from the day you got one. You will find infinite possibilities to make stuff with it. But it is time consuming. Most cheaper machine need a lot of tuning on the beginning, especially if you buy a used one which is in medium condition.

If you have some spare time it can be worth it. But modeling stuff consumes a lot of time to.

EDIT: But when it is tuned in you can print good in a short time if you have a model. I once said to a friend, 3d printing is now easier for me then paper printing :D

Last edited:

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I think that is what i am afraid of. I don't think I will be able to make with it:)

For that part you'd probably need a nylon or polycarbonate blend filament. And print two of them so the guy has a spare when the 1st breaks 5 miles from shore.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
You might try a 3d printing service like shapeways or protolabs or someone else. I've not used them yet but if you don't plan to do much printing or your budget is smaller it may make sense. Less initial investment of money and time to get parts.