What's new

Aircraft sheet metal question

slipstick

I take it that Alibre isn't able to flange along a curve, such as required here, seen at section A-A? I haven't had any success as yet.

I can see a way to use a shell operation, but I don't have an unfold then.

upload_2018-6-2_18-6-32.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That's not in Alibre's tool set - yet. Sounds like another Enhancement Request. (I know that SolidWorks can create the flange but I don't know that the flat pattern is very accurate.)
If you know the Bend Deduction, Bend Allowance or K-Factor for the material you could create your shelled component then create a new configuration and model the flat pattern. Or create the flat as a separate part.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The problem is that the material needs to be stretched or compressed during a curved flange bend (which in the real world ends up in a curved former that needs to be crimped between rivets to flatten) ...

upload_2018-6-3_11-15-50.png

... so its more of a complex forming process than a simple bend. I've created ribs and formers using the solid approach using shell (after applying the external bend radius fillet. It only ends up creating a 3D model of the part and not a pattern you can use to cut blanks out of !

upload_2018-6-3_11-28-8.png

It would be a nice feature to add to sheet metal, as its used in all kinds of things like pressed enclosures with stiffening flanges and lightning holes.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Here is an example of how this may be addressed - at least until Alibre can create flanges along curve edges.

Simon, I used your image to base my model on.

I make no claims as the accuracy of the model or the flat pattern in this example. It is presented here only to show a process that could be followed once all the correct size and bend data is applied.
ribBody.png
ribFlat.png

Attachments

• wingRibExsample.AD_PKG
    138.4 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: MKR

Nick952

When I needed this, I had to first convert the outer surface to a Mesh (so in effect no "Material Thickness") , then buy and use this:- http://www.revcad.com/Sheet5/Products/SL50/Mesh_Unfolder/mesh_unfolder.html
But not sure if it will work on the areas that have "beaten round a former/pressed in a die" compound rads.
I think they do a trial version to try out the software first.

I did submit a suggestion for Mesh Unfolding as an Alibre enhancment/ feature, but their reply was that there was "no intention of adding this"

Nick.

Last edited:
Reactions: MKR

slipstick

Here is an example of how this may be addressed - at least until Alibre can create flanges along curve edges.

Simon, I used your image to base my model on.

I make no claims as the accuracy of the model or the flat pattern in this example. It is presented here only to show a process that could be followed once all the correct size and bend data is applied.
View attachment 25983
View attachment 25985

I had a missing model error upon opening this, although the drawing came through. Looks intriguing though!

EDIT: got the model to open. Interesting. Thanks!

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I'll have to take some time and document this as a tutorial. There are more than likely parts other than aircraft ribs that could be created using this technique.