What's new

Algor Add-on

cherkey

Algor Add-on

Hello all,
I'm trying to use the Algor Fempro Add-on and all that's happening is Alibre closing. Are there issues with this?
TIA
Chris

A

Anonymous

You have to install the new version of designcheck. It has some cool upgrades.

cherkey

According to Add-on Manager, it will transfer the model to Algor Fempro. I have Algor Fempro and it doesn't transfer the model....So this Add-on will not transfer the model to my Algor tool?

barrykingwill

As I understand it, if you have Design Check, it transfers the model straight to FemPro, but if you have the full featured Algor package it does not. (The tweo programs are not awae of each other) You have to go via the step file route (and I have found the AP203 step format the best for Alibre->Algor.

I have just installed Design Check for the first time (having had full featured Algor, there was no need and it would interfer with the other installation)

I tried Design Check on (Feature Limited) setting, and must say I was dissapointed. Yes it has the Fempro Interface of the full featured package, but you can hardly do anything with it.

It has 1 element type, 1 restraint method, 1 force method, no acceletation (gravity) loading. You cannot create a load spider as you have no trusses and beams. No thermal, no pressure loading (other than surface force), no nodal force, or nodal contraints. I can barely think of an application where I can use it.

It can also only import single parts (not assemblies). This restriction I can understand, but the others render it almost useless.

I must actually uninstall it, and try the (time limited version) to see if that has more of the full featured features.

I can understand limitations as full Algor costs between $5 and $13g's, but this Design Check seems little more than a marketing tool, dangling of a carrot.

cherkey

Ah, OK, thanks for the reply. I was hoping that the two would interface together with v8 as they are partners...
Thanks again,
CH

barrykingwill

I think they are meant to interface they they do with Design Check, however it does not work for me (with Full Algor).

If I click on the Algor FEA item under Add-Ons Menu, it immediately shuts down Alibre (without warning or hesitation), and does not open Algor either.

In fact I have to reboot to Start Alibre again, else it can't find the repositories when it starts up again.

However on a laptop where I installed Design Check after Alibre, the interface seems to work fine.

barrykingwill

It should work and maintain associativity

"ALGOR's complete product line now supports direct CAD/CAE data exchange of parts and assemblies from Alibre Design and provides full associativity - allowing users to make iterative design changes without needing to redefine FEA loads, constraints and other data. This new, higher level of integration is made possible by the new API introduced in Alibre Design 8.0," says Bob Williams, Product Manager for ALGOR, Inc. "The tighter integration offered through our InCAD technology delivers increased productivity for users performing ALGOR analyses on Alibre Design models.

I have been testing it using Design Check (as full Algor is not spawned by Alibre Add-On, whereas Design Check is)

While it maintains a contraint setting, as long as the surface numbering does not change in Alibre, it looses the unit settings (and Algor defaults to a rediculous Force unit of Dyne rather than Newton) Metric cgs, rather than Metric SI (and it looses the material setting, (why I would not know), and obviously looses all Nodal force or constrain settings (understandably as the node numbering changes with a re-mesh)

So this "associativety" is only really one or two steps short of manually exporting and importing and resetting the units / material properties etc anyway.

Why is can't maintain units and material settings I dunno, unless I am not doing it right, which may well be the case.

Cameraman

Re:

barrykingwill said:
. . . I tried Design Check on (Feature Limited) setting, and must say I was dissapointed. Yes it has the Fempro Interface of the full featured package, but you can hardly do anything with it.

It has 1 element type, 1 restraint method, 1 force method, no acceletation (gravity) loading. You cannot create a load spider as you have no trusses and beams. No thermal, no pressure loading (other than surface force), no nodal force, or nodal contraints. I can barely think of an application where I can use it.

It can also only import single parts (not assemblies). This restriction I can understand, but the others render it almost useless.

Being a long-time user and fan of Algor, I must echo your sentiments . . . if they would at least let us apply point forces, it would be a huge improvement as we could then simulate a number of loading conditions that way . . . alas, as you so correctly stated, DesignCheck is almost completely useless in its present form . . .

Regards,
Greg :D