What's new

Algor licensing

Szumi

Alibre allows three installs of the core application. What is the policy on Algor? I tried to install Algor on my laptop for a total of two machines and tells me I've already licensed it to a computer like I can only use it on one. What is the story here?

Thanks,

Szumi

Well, I don't have a "good" answer, but I will share my experience so far.

Back when I first purchased AD Expert, I played with Algor design check a little and it seemed pretty nice for a marketing add-on.
Well, MS operating systems being what they are, I had to format my system within a month or two and ever since I have NOT been able to use Algor.
I have asked tech support at Alibre about it, and they kindly directed me to autodesk/algor to request help with the license. However I have tried several times since 2007 (it is now 2010) and have yet to receive a response from them.

So, unless somebody can shed some light on the subject, I would have to say that we only get ONE install, so guard it well :)

PS. I'd very much like to regain the use of Algor design check.

wathavy4

Alibre Super User
Me, too.
I actually used to install more than one.
But due to the frequency mainly, I used only one. Also, my office PC got very small H.D. space so I decided not to install Algor nor M-Files.
They take up disk space, and M-Files requires CPU power to some extent I guess.

P.S.
I terminate anti-virus application which is the worst application to demolish my efficiency on any operation with the PC.

dammerel

Hi All,

I feel Alibre have a legal responsibility to support a product there sell or market,
Now I understand that Algor is a Autodesk product but it is marketed/sold with AD expert

Andrew

craneaero

I have found that Algor stops working if you make any major changes to your PC, such as motherboard or hard disk upgrade. Apparently, during initial activation of the product, a snapshot is made of the PC hardware and stored by Algor in your Algor account.
If you contact Algor, they will usually sort it out for you. I have done it several times.
If you sign in to the Algor site with your Algor username and password, I think there is even a way to re-host the program to a new PC on-line.

For your info, Algor Designcheck has now reappeared as "Autodesk Algor Simulation". A time-limited free trial version is available as "Autodesk Algor Simulation Express". Go to your local MegaDesk website.
I installed this on my second laptop and it even installs itself as an Alibre Add-on, just like Designcheck. It is also able to import a wide variety of model formats, including Alibre.
I think the time limit is about 6 months, but it could be useful to anyone who needs the functionality of Designcheck on a second laptop.

craneaero, I am trying them again so we'll see.

One question I had for you is where did you get login info for the Algor site??? The licensing was all handled by an Alibre employee when I purchased it... so I never had to nor was able to log onto the Algor site. I'd be plenty happy to try the method you suggest.

craneaero

When I first registered the program in 2006, Algor sent me an email with username and password.
However, if you double-click the licence.dat file in the Algor program directory you should see your licence number, which starts with AE followed by a 5-digit number.
The licence number is also your username.
On the Algor website (http://www.algor.com), go to My Account. There will be a link at the right of the sign-in box for forgotten password.
When you have your password via email, you will be able to sign in.
At the bottom left of the screen once you are signed in are various links concerned with licencing. Re-hosting is one of them.
You will also notice that there is a link to a number of tutorials.

I hope this helps.