What's new

Alibre 12 and M-Files 6

marm37co

Can The M-files version 6 work with Alibre 12? The configuration for the VAult offered in the version 6 don't contain the views defined for Alibre Users?

memiles

I just upgraded to V12 and did the upgrade for M-Files 6.0 using the Simple upgrade and everything seems to work great. I did do this upgrade on a PC I was not intending as my primary machine just incase things went horribly wrong. So far this hasn't been the case.

Mike

ernes

I couldn´t upgrade from M-files 5 to M-files 6 (error message after installation) since my M-files upgrade right expired 4 weeks ago, even that I extended my Alibre service contract at that time.
Seems that my Alibre 11.2 Pro license isn´t authorized to upgrade M-files any more... :shock:

I´m a little confused.... :cry:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
The problem/confusion was caused by the PR e-mail last week from M-Files. :roll:

Only the version in the Alibre download area is the correct one.
Alibre Vault is a "special/extended" version of M-Files and it will still be adjusted.
I'm sure it will happen soon... :)

ernes

I see... So there will be a Alibre vault (based on M-files V6 ) ready for download an Alibre side, right? Thanks for that information, so I´ve to wait...

memiles

I downloaded straight from the M-Files website, input my licence key from Alibre when promped and haven't noticed any loss in functionality.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The difference could be related to when keys were issued. Standard M-files licence includes 12 months support/updates, after that you have to pay maintenance to get access to updates.

I'm guessing that the licence keys we get are standard, so will only allow updates till a certain date. I was able to update from M-file 4 to 5, but that was soon after installing M-files.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
memiles said:
I downloaded straight from the M-Files website, input my licence key from Alibre when promped and haven't noticed any loss in functionality.

Hi Miles,

You are right. There is a difference.
The Alibre M-Files version -> Alibre-Vault contains the special CAD "metadata" compared to the normal version of M-Files.
Therefore, I recommend only downloading from Alibre, the current version is V5.

scudzuki

memiles said:

I also just upgraded using the M-Files 6 installer from the M-Files website.

Works great.

Joe

robdavis

I am confused :?

Can I safely download V6 of M-files from the Alibre site - no risk to accessing my current Vault data as a single user?

Why should I upgrade to V6?

Does V6 deal with the needs of the single user - no Check In/Check Out, no Client Setting, no Server Administrator ..........

What does V6 offer?

And then ....
ralf3 said:
memiles said:
the current version is V5.

Is V5 current, or V6 or both :eek: .

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
It is an old topic about early adopter users installing a non Alibre version of Vault to be on the bleeding edge. I would ignore the topic entirely (except for my next paragraph) if it confuses you.

Alibre still only has Vault v5 on their download site as far as I can tell. When released by Alibre; Vault v6 will probably have the same new feature as M-Files v6. I recommend unless you are willing to risk loosing everything you should stay on Vault v5 until Alibre releases v6.

[edit] Fixed. You must "upgrade" your account per v12.1 install instructions to be able to view the Vault v6 download. [/edit]

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Nate - Alibre released v6 along with AD 12.1 - I've downloaded and run the installer from Alibre, and can confirm that (for update purposes) it behaves eaxctly as the M-Files installer. Presumably for new installs it will set up the special Alibre vault (which you don't get with M-Files).

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Thanks, You are correct. Apparently the Vault version available to download is directly related to the Alibre version on your account. So if you don't "upgrade" your account to Alibre v12.1 then you don't see the Vault v6 download. I had assumed and you know what they say about that. :oops: Fixing in previous post.

robdavis

robdavis said:
What does V6 offer?

It appears that for the single user with a simple application, the only reason for upgrading to V6 is Windows 7 compatibility :).

Is this correct :?:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
There are some other improvements in v6 - but these are largely around things that you might set up in the background. The web access module is significantly improved (but I don't think many Alibre users even know about that, let alone use it).

If you do update - check if your current licence key is still under support, if not download your updated key from Alibre - v6 will install but not operate if the key is out of support (you can update the key after updating).