What's new

Alibre Atom export -> LightBurn

TomHa

Hello,

I have Atom and just picked up a Laser. I have NO art skill, I am still learning Alibre :). I am trying to export a sketch to in some format that LightBurn can read. I see people saying SVG, but my export/screen shot only has JPG/PNG. I also own Rhino3d so I was thinking about export to STEP files then letting Rhino convert to something that Lightburn can read. I get errors trying to export STEP files, something about topology. Sketches are 2d all the exports want 3d so do not work.

Is there a work around without spending $500.00 to export to light burn?

I have also purchase the CAM version of Alibre, meshcam, I have not tried it yet, my CNC is delayed. Would that help me?

Thanks
Tom

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I'm not certain that Atom can export to .svg sketch, but if so, it works differently than exportin a 3d CAD file.

After creating the sketch and exiting the 2d sketch environment, In the design explorer right click the sketch and select "Export SVG ". Like this:

1707620171969.png

If Atom can't export SVG, I believe the drawing environment should allow you to export .dxf files, which Lightburn can also read.

TomHa

Cool thank you so much. I did not know that menu was there.

Any chance you/anyone know how to export to DXF DWG formats? It's in the comparison listing from Atom and Design Pro.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
From the 2d drawing environment, File>Export>DXF:

1707621094932.png

Of course, you'll first need to either create a solid model then create a drawing of it, or create a sketch in the 2d drawing environment.

TomHa

Ok now I feel dumb. I open on the sketch and draw out what I want to export. Click on file export and see below. Is there a different 2d environment? Again, I have to Atom Version not Design/expert, one day I'll learn enough to justify that upgrade :)

I want to say thank you again.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 10.17.38 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-02-10 at 10.19.37 PM.png

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Thats because you are in the modelling environment. .DXF and .DWG files are a 2d drawing thing, like 2d .pdf's, which I think Lightburn can also work with.

Maybe this will help. Here is the easy way to get a quick sketch into DXF format: