What's new

Alibre - Blue screen error - DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE - SOLVED

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this error/crash when using Alibre. I had this problem with v22 and I believe a video card driver update seemed to fix it. Now it's back with v23 and my video drivers are at latest rev. I tried some fixes recommended from support and I have now uninstalled/reinstalled Alibre but the problem is still there. I am dead in the water and can't use Alibre at all. This ONLY happens when opening a model in Alibre. No other software I use causes this to happen. I use Rhino3D v7 and no problems.

Sorry, this is more of a frustrated rant, but would be nice if I new someone else had this issue and a fix so I could get it working again.

I'm using a Dell Precision M7730. i7-8850H, 16G RAM, Nvidia P3200, Win10 Pro.

Jake_Steidy

Hello Pottersfriend.
I had this reoccuring error last November. Driver_Power_state_failure. Blue screen, the works. What I ended up having to do was a complete reinstall of windows. There was some problematic driver or software on Windows end. You might find better luck with a system restore or other backups you may have before doing a reinstall of windows, make sure you back anything up and research it a bit before jumping into a reinstall. Hope any of this helps.
Best,
Jake

Just to give an update, I ended up having to go into the BIOS and turn off "switchable graphics". Not sure if some BIOS update changed this or I did (though I don't remember changing it, but could've happened). Once this was done I was able to use my dedicated GPU (P3200) and turn off legacy mode in Alibre and it now runs without locking up and crashing with the device_power_state_failure.

I still think Alibre needs to do some work on something since even programs like Rhino3d and Lightwave would work with the integrated intel UHD 630 graphics without crashing. Not sure why Alibre is so special compared to those programs.

Jake_Steidy

Happy to hear you got it running again with a easier solution than I had!
Best,
Jake

EDIT: Hey Potters just wanted to edit my post since I ran into this driver state error blue screen this morning while trying to use Alibre. The usual fixes didn't work, just listing for other users incase they have this happen.

Updated windows and made sure everything was current.
Updated Geforce driver (have a geforce card secondary)
Went into Bios and tried to turn off the function of the intel card and geforce card switchable graphics. (Found out HP laptops don't all have that bios function)
After this I tried reassigning graphics settings within windows to have Alibre only run with Geforce card, ( it was already set there but I set it to intel then back to Geforce)
Still Crashing!
So then thinking about how the geforce card allows you to change power modes I thought to check if the intel card had power settings since its a driver power failure.
Went into the intel graphics control panel> power> and then disabled every single power saving method, Who needs em'!
I have since been using Alibre successfully and haven't had a driver power state failure blue screen since.

Last edited: