What's new

Alibre CAMs text engraving funtion is poor.

tgarson

This is a warning to prospective Alibre CAM license purchasers.

There is a lot to like about Alibre CAM.
BUT, if you expect it to be as elegant in producing engraved text as many other much less costly programs that offer text engraving as a central feature, you will be disappointed.
First and foremost: Alibre CAD can not deal with single line fonts. If you create any type of single line sketch, you will get an error "popup" and the feature will not be created when you try to extrude or cut it.
Second: If you create a sketch with single line fonts, or entities, on it, Alibre CAM will actually accept the operation and generate a tool path, but the tool will not cut anything. This is in direct contrast to the misleading cAM tutorials.

When you complain, Alibre support will tell you to use a conventional font and then explode it in order to create text. They are correct in that this process works. However, when you explode any significant amount of text, it is converted to poly lines and the magnitude of your file may increase geometrically. This will, in turn, make your nice fast CAD system into a slug because of the thousands of drawing command this entails which must be redrawn every time you do virtually anything.

Do not be fooled into believing that if you spend the thousands of dollars necessary to upgrade from Basic to any other level of Alibre CAM that it will work any different.

I do expect the get a lot of use out of Alibre CAM for what it does do, which is a lot. However, now I have to spend several hundred dollars more to acquire an engraving program which means that any operation which requires very much text and significant machine work, such as a large control panel with cut outs, will have to be done using two separate programs that do not communicate directly together. One of the main reasons to buy Alibre is the integration of CAD and CAM, which this defeats.

scudzuki

If you're talking about V-carving, it's true, it requires regions, will not work with single lines, since it is in effect a pocketing routine.

And you are correct that lines cannot be extruded or extrude cut... unlike regions, they have zero width.

I have used engraving MOPs with lines, though.

It is a 2.5D MOP and as such does not use solids just sketches.

Joe

dmerrll

Engraving has amazingly regressed from Alibre 11 and AlibreCam 2.0.
Resource usage is incredible. Net Framework should be discarded. Having more resources available has been detrimental for Alibre. No need to write elegant code we'll never run out of memory!
I have to engrave a three letter title and an email address
on a product. This product also needs a 5 digit serial #. That is too much for Alibre. Text has to be exploded which takes the email address " gearmaker2003@gmail.com" from a file 284k to a size 6,854k and that is just on a test
block created from an extruded rectangle not my part. At that point it is like recalculating a spread sheet in 1985.
I think alibre is not aware that their users might want to take their models into the marketplace. I will plot these with another program and quit losing days with Alibre.
David

jugster

Guys,

Just thought I would express my thoughts on this. I agree, I expected alot more on text engraving. For me cutting the text wasn't a problem, if I would allow my workstation enough time to explode the text. A very time consuming process if you didn't get the results you wanted on the first simulation. I have a cnc router that I built in my shop. I ended up purchasing V-carve Pro. Text engraving issues is a thing of the past!!! Basically any type of text including single line fonts. Text on arches, curves, and whatever else you can think of. Even has a fourth axis wrapping program that is extremely simple. The best I can remember it was about six hundred dollars. Dxf import is lightning fast. Also having the ability to drag the corner and scale to the preferred size is nice. I never read the tutorials, just muttled my way through it. If you can program with Alibre you won't have any issues using this. Hope this helps!!!!