What's new

Alibre Crashes over night

So I usually leave my work computer on over night with projects open (obviously saved current), but ever morning when I come in i have this error
upload_2017-9-15_8-22-36.png

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I have had that a few times too. If not that then a big red X over the workspace window.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Count me in for the big red X at certain times after being gone awhile. I thought maybe it was a graphics card issue.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I speak under correction but I believe it has something to do with how Windows allows Alibre to access certain processes.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Typically triggered by computer going to sleep, or OpenGL screensaver kicking in - either disrupts the DirectX connection to the 3D workspace. I believe it is on the radar of the Alibre team, but perhaps actual design and productivity enhancements are higher priority.

The simple answer (maybe not acceptable to all) is turn off screen savers if they cause the issue, and don't let computer go into sleep mode with Alibre open.

Even if this does happen, you should be able to save the file before closing Alibre. Then re-open and continue.

David -- I never set my computer for sleep mode of use screen savers of any sort. I regularly leave Projects as active overnight. Power outages are my "worst issue" -- and they are (fairly) easy to recover from.

ftkalcevic

I get this regularly when my computer comes out of sleep mode (not every time, and I don't have a screen saver).

Usually it only means the display part of Alibre is broken. You can close the program, save changes, and restart.

JST

Alibre Super User
I find it best to NOT leave Alibre/Geomagic open when I am not using it.

Since I tend to use a laptop, I DO use sleep mode on a timer.

Most versions of Windows can get a bit crazed after a few days of no restart, so that can be an issue on top of video display and sleep mode.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I tried sleep mode and hibernation on a previous laptop and it always seemed to have trouble getting things running after it woke up. So now I shut down my computer every night. Besides, my electric bill is high enough without adding to it unnecessarily. At work the computers are on all the time, IT usually pushes updates out after-hours or on weekends AND they can afford the electric bill.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Ok... so no screensaver and no sleep... not really the right solution as I should be able to do both. Still in the dark as to whether this is an Alibre issue or a Windows issue...

domcm

This is appears to be the same longstanding "big red x" error when the computer goes to sleep. See below. If you do a search on the forum, you will see it popup many times. I reported it to the old 3D Systems support and they said it could not be fixed. Something tells me that the new/old Alibre team is up for the challenge.

redx_error.png

dwc

Alibre Super User
Still in the dark as to whether this is an Alibre issue or a Windows issue...
This is a very old problem and has been analysed here in the forum previously to be an Alibre problem.
The only solution I have found is as has been said, no screensaver and no sleeping, no big deal.
If it is an easy fix they should do it, otherwise I think there are other things to do that should be higher on the list.
Don

I've not had that particular problem, but Geomagic Design does not correctly handle memory management. I've reported this with examples several times over the past two years and nothing has been done about it. That's the main reason I'm not buying 'maintenance' because they don't maintain the product, just add new features I don't want.

The main issue with memory management is that the Control Panel appears to launch and control the open programs. When those programs are closed, the memory used by them doesn't get returned to the heap. That ONLY happens when you close the Control Panel. The developers assured me that the automatic garbage collection system dealt with that, so they clearly don't understand the issue.

The result of this is that you often can't rename or move a closed file because the Control Panel is still holding on to its handle.
You also have to close the Control Panel before opening a large assembly because it's hogging memory from what should have been closed programs.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have memory leaks too. You can check to see how much memory Geomagic Design is using when you leave it open, and then come back in the morning and see if it's used any more. My guess is that it will have.

This is all down to sloppy programming and being in denial of the facts being fed back to the developers.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
I've not had that particular problem, but Geomagic Design does not correctly handle memory management. I've reported this with examples several times over the past two years and nothing has been done about it. That's the main reason I'm not buying 'maintenance' because they don't maintain the product, just add new features I don't want.

Alibre is now under different ownership so you may want to reconsider maintenance. It was 3DS, the previous owners, that seemed to stop all development and tech support, and many of the new team were the same ones that developed Alibre before 3DS bought them out. The Alibre future looks much brighter now than it did a few months ago.