What's new

Alibre crashing in Vista

steved

I have today started using a new PC running in Vista, I have had two crashes already this morning whilst editing some very simple drawings.

Are There any known problems running in Vista or are there any setting that I can change to make it more stable.

Cheers

Steve

denisgb2

Steve, I have Vista home with Areo enabled and I have very few problems with Alibre. The computer I am using was purchased with XP and I first installed the Vista OS upgrade with the option to return to XP. On that upgrade I had endless problems with Alibre, so after all kinds of calls to Alibre tech support, I specualted that Alibre might not be the problem, and reinstalled the Vista upgrade, without, ugh, the option to rollback. All went well, all the non-Vista compatable software was purged; Vista was nice enough to create a folder "windows.old" that contains most of the data files for the removed software applications. So now, and so far, I am happy with how Vista and Alibre work together, it has been well over 4 months, maybe even 6 months.
I did discover, somewhere along the way, that I had more problems when I was using my Spaceball, especially with large assemblies, so I removed the hardware and uninstalled the driver, which seemed to improve Alibre; one note though, I have not tried to reinstall Spaceball for some time, and possibly the latest drivers might be fine, and if someone is using Vista, Alibre, and Spaceball without any problems, I would like to get back to using Spaceball.
I do remember another issue that came up a couple of weeks after things were working well on the Vista reinstallation, where I thought I would do myself a favor, and I installed the then newest Vista driver for my video card (Radeon X800). Immediately after I installed the new driver I began to have serious problems with Alibre, I rolled back the driver and all was well again. Then, after a few months of happy Vista, and having the urge to torture myself, and proving just how much of a slow learner I am, I agin downloaded and installed the then latest video driver, and oddly it worked just fine, and did not cause any problems with Alibre, and seems to have improved my whole Vista experience.
I do not know how this information will help you with a new Vista computer, but I have not had to do anything special with Vista, other than drivers.
I am sure that everyone else is wiser than me, and will back up anything important, before they...
Regards, Denis

warburton1

I am using two Vista machines, one a 4Gb workstation with quad core processor and Vista 64 Ultimate installed, the other machine is a laptop with dual core intel, 3Gb of ram and Vista 32 Home Plus. The laptop is extremely reliable with Alibre working faultlessly and rarely having any problems, the workstation on the other hand is a lot more problematic. The main issue appears to be with MS Java VM. Almost all the crashes seem to indicate a failure in a memory operation called for by MSJVM. Not sure whether this helps but the only thing the workstation is good for right now is 3D modelling, drawing is too inconsistent as to when the crashes occur to make it worth while. Looking forward to more stability with v11 and the .NET improvements.

One other thing though, I use Rhino 3D (v3) and it does cause display problems with Alibre, I would imagine its the display driver getting "muddled" over the direct 3D for Alibre with the open GL of Rhino.

Gary W

marm37co

- Disable Aero 1
>Right-click on the desktop and choose Personalize
>"Window Color and Appearance"
>"Open classic appearance properties for more color options"
> Choosing Windows Vista Basic

- Disable Aero 2
>Right-click on the Alibre shortcut in the desktop, choose Properties, Compatibility tab
>Check "Disable desktop composition"
>Check "Run this program as an Administrator"
>Press Apply and Ok

Disable UAC (User Account Control)
>Control Panel
>"User Accounts"
>"Turn User Account Control on or off."
>Uncheck the option to use UAC to help protect your computer.

ADVANCED SYSTEM OPTIONS
>Control Panel
>Select Classic View
>Choose System
>In system Choose Change Settings or Advanced System Settings
>Choose Advanced Tab
>In the Visual Effects tab choose Adjust for Best performance and press Apply
>In Data Execution Prevention Select Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select
>Press Add and look for Alibre.exe (C:/program files/Alibre Design/Alibre.exe)
>Press Apply and Ok

MOUSE AND KEYBOARD VELOCITY
>Control Panel
>Mouse
>Pointer options
>In Motion move the slide to Fast
>Click Ok

>Control Panel
>Keyboard
>Speed: Move the Repeat Delay slide to Short