What's new

Alibre Design 2018.1 and Alibre Atom3D are live

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Yes they are! And you fixed the external thread tool. I've spent a happy hour using my Thread addin to load up Bearing locknut sizes. I'm a VERY happy boy! :D

EDIT: Not so happy. I cannot get external threads or callouts to show in drawings if the external thread has a keyway across it. :(

Last edited:

albie0803

Alibre Super User
In the included pkg file is a drawing and part. The drawing should open showing the external thread lines and descriptor.
Open the part, un-suppress the the keyway and then update the drawing. You will see that the thread lines and descriptor disappear.
I understand why, because the edge the thread is based on is now broken but the it exists as an item in the model. Therefore it should show.
Also, if I put the keyway in first then the thread fails as the edge is not continuous, once again, understandable.

Attachments

• Keyway Sample.AD_PKG
    51.6 KB · Views: 9

HEjensen

Updated to the latest today and having problems. My computer is about 6 years old and I have compatibly problems.
Is there a way to undo the latest update. I am going to buy a new computer in the future and they will run the latest version.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Updated to the latest today and having problems. My computer is about 6 years old and I have compatibly problems.
Is there a way to undo the latest update. I am going to buy a new computer in the future and they will run the latest version.

Please contact support.

ZincBoy

I am very disappointed that the mesh support was removed. I used the import mesh functionality quite a bit and it is invaluable to import and modify .stl files. I hope a replacement is found soon!

slipstick

Just noticed a small thing with the new update - on Win 10 64 bit, the icon in the bar on the bottom is a blank rectangle. Haven't played with it enough for other input yet, but I'm sure I'll like it!

upload_2018-7-18_20-2-58.png

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Just noticed a small thing with the new update - on Win 10 64 bit, the icon in the bar on the bottom is a blank rectangle. Haven't played with it enough for other input yet, but I'm sure I'll like it!

Strange, try uninstall > reboot > install.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
I am very disappointed that the mesh support was removed. I used the import mesh functionality quite a bit and it is invaluable to import and modify .stl files. I hope a replacement is found soon!

We are looking into alternatives. And we're looking for customer input. Can you describe your workflow? What kinds of STL files do you use? Are they organic like a scan or mechanical? Where do they come from? How do you modify them?

Thanks!

bigseb

Alibre Super User
In my case they can be both i.e. mechanical or organic. Source is clients that have moulds but moulds CAD and end up having to scan the cavity plates. These then need to be modified in whatever way they require.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
In my case they can be both i.e. mechanical or organic. Source is clients that have moulds but moulds CAD and end up having to scan the cavity plates. These then need to be modified in whatever way they require.

So your workflow is pulling in a scan and either converting it to solid for further modification or performing a mesh boolean on an existing solid?

jcdammeyer

Why were Mesh and 3D print support removed? It was a feature that convinced a friend to go with Alibre over Fusion 360. With the new version what happens when you import an STL file? Or has that been removed too. If so, what utility is out there to to make it possible to edit an STL file?

Thoughts on the V2018.1 Update after "messing around" with it for 24 hours...

It is nice that "External Thread" Features no longer fail when (say) a "tube hole" precedes them. [Though I still object to having the "hard coded threads" precede those I have purposefully defined!]

I do think that a (male or female) thread should gain a "default identity" of the thread being defined ((say: .5000-20UNRC-3A as an example).

I am not sure how "integrating AlibreScript" (WizoScript) will work. [Python still confuses me.]

-- Lew

ZincBoy

We are looking into alternatives. And we're looking for customer input. Can you describe your workflow? What kinds of STL files do you use? Are they organic like a scan or mechanical? Where do they come from? How do you modify them?

Thanks!

I use both organic and mechanical inputs. The organic inputs come from 3d scan data that I use as reference to build a new part/model from. The way the old mesh tool work was fine for this as all I needed was the slice view that I could use to base new geometry from. There were some annoying limitations with this though as it did not like imports with large numbers of separate meshes. I almost always had to go through the mesh and reduce it to a few meshes before it would import what I needed.

The mechanical inputs are .stl files that I need to modify for 3d printing. These are usually simple models that would still work in the organic mode but would just take a bit more time. One observed issue in the organic import of simple meshes is that the tool would appear to decimate the mesh poorly. This would cause things like holes not to be round or the edges of the holes would be rounded over.

MarcusWolschon

Thanks!

What is the status of the alternatives that you are looking into?
Until meshes are reintroduced, I won't be able to update ever again.
This makes it difficult to renew my support contract and support you guys,
when it expires mid of next month.

Will the 2018.0 -version stay available for download and activation?

PS:
You are marketing "Atom3D at "enthusiasts".
However the one this this group will never, ever do is to "inquire for pricing" after clicking a "Buy Alibre Atom3D" button.
You loose these customers at the very first click that you offer.

Last edited:

aptivaboy

Thanks!

Max,

Speaking only for myself, I use Moment of Inspiration a lot. I really need OBJ import, as well as other formats that MOI can export to so that I can open them up in Alibre, and vice versa. There are certain things that MOI does very well, and things that Alibre does very well and its critical for the two programs to be able to "talk" to each other. I'm one of the people who got into MOI back when it was marketed with Alibre before the Geomagic days, so the support really is necessary. Actually, this is a real pie in the sky idea, but maybe 3DM support could be included? That way, the two programs could really talk the same language! That would also make interoperability with Rhino users that much better.

I also would like to see a robust STL import capability. As a fine scale modeler (add ons for airplane and ship models, sci-fi designs etc.), we often pass our STL files amongst ourselves. Some STL files are available for purchase on places like Ebay. However, we can't open and scale them, for example, in Alibre, let alone edit them. The current STL import capability rarely works, and then on only the simplest of designs, and I'm rocking a nice Core I7 with plenty of RAM and a dedicated Nvidia graphic card. Most of these STL imports are of the mechanical nature, but a few are organic shapes like airfoils and ship hulls. Being able to import STL and other mesh files and then save them as native Alibre files would be the ultimate cat's meow.

I really want to support Alibre and Atom looks very interesting. However, until a robust and reliable mesh import system is included I can't buy it. I'll stick with my older, long unsupported copies of Alibre that can import from MOI, Rhino, etc. I'll be blunt - the sooner mesh import capabilities are included, the faster I'll buy.

Thank you for listening, and I hope to be able to buy a copy of Atom for my traveling laptop soon!

Robert