What's new

Alibre Design 2018 Preview - Miter Flange

Max -- Not that I am suggesting that an improved flange tool is not a worthy area of development, by please start the move away from using the Lockheed K-actors to define bends. They (Lockheed K-factors) are inaccurate and provide no means of accounting for Hertzian Contact Stress deformation in gooseneck die forming.

JST

Alibre Super User
Have to agree about the confounded K-factors. You do not and cannot account for every possible variation in method, but those k-factors drive me crazy.

I was taught the use of a different method, and so I have to convert every time.... I have a bend allowance table, and formula for figuring out the allowance including the angle of the bend if not 90 deg. That DOES work.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Max, mitered corners is the best news about Alibre sheet metal to date. I'd like to see more about how the gaps are defined but they look good too.
I have to agree with Lew that we need options other than K-factor, like Bend Allowance and Bend Deduction. AND we need to be able to apply different ones on a bend-by-bend basis instead of a global setting as it is now.

...Hertzian Contact Stress deformation in gooseneck die forming.
Lew, in 40 years of sheet metal work, 25 of them in design, you are the only one I've heard mention Hertzian contact stress. What is it and why should I care if I know the correct BA, BD or K-factor to use to get the correct flat to make the part I'm designing?

Reactions: JST
Lew, in 40 years of sheet metal work, 25 of them in design, you are the only one I've heard mention Hertzian contact stress. What is it and why should I care if I know the correct BA, BD or K-factor to use to get the correct flat to make the part I'm designing?
Harold -- Hertzian Contact Stresses "overstrain" portions of a "bend" when forming in a press and using a "gooseneck die" to make the bend. In essence, where the "cylindrical form" of the "goosenect die" meets the "flat side" of the V-block you yield the material and reduce "springback." When added into the "Poisson's Ratio Elongation" of such forming they can have a moderately major impact on "flat pattern development." And, FYI, I have been making such calculations for 50 years.

JST

Alibre Super User
Method on bend by bend basis is a good plan for users.

I think I'd postpone that in a New York Second if we could get better lofting and fillets.

VoltsAndBolts

I didn't have access to sheet metal until recently. I guess I have a hole new world to explore... Where to start...where to start.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
I do like double curved skin plate...that express the horizontal and vertical maximum girth difference.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Max,
I've been going back over the video to see how much I could glean from it. A couple of questions do come to mind. How are the transitions handled from flange to flange when the gaps are not as exaggerated as shown? I assume these large gaps are for demonstration purposes. In my experience they wouldn't be so large. And I hope there is a blend in the flat from the side to the top flange, like a fillet of sorts.
Gap settings.png
It would be real sweet if the "new" sheet metal could make the mitered flange blend into the side flange like this:
corner blend.png

And can the icons images be made larger,like they are in the current version? Even on a larger monitor at full screen those icons look pretty small to my old eyes.
icon size.png

I guess I'll have to wait til it's launched. BTW, this may have been asked before but how is Beta testing being handled? Will users be able to participate in it?