What's new

ALIBRE DESIGN AND PDF'S

wolog

ALIBRE DESIGN AND PDF'S

Did I miss something when Alibre was advertising the ability to publish to PDF's? I can make a pdf of the 3d model, but i can't make a pdf of my drawing!!!!??? That basically defeats the purpose of having this feature. I guess that if I "upgrade" to pro or expert iI can create a pdf of a drawing.

swertel

Alibre Super User

No. The creation of the pdf was and always had been 3d pdf. No where in the advertising or other formal releases did Alibre state they would have the capability to do 2D pdf printing.

That being said, there are plenty of free 2D pdf printers you can download and use to create pdf files of your drawings. My favorite is pdf995. I paid the US$10 and got rid of the ads.

wolog

SWERTEL,

Thank you for the quick response; however, I figured that the feature would carry over to the drawing side. I need that more than I need a 3d PDF. I understand about the PDF software. We currently use PrimoPDF. Oh well, just one more step to getting my PDF. No biggie!!!

Thank you again.

gregmilliken

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the feedback, and we discussed this quite a bit before making the call to ship the 3D PDF support in 9.1 as is. One of the numerous free (or paid) PDF printer drivers is the way to handle getting 2D output to PDF for now.

We are working on incorporating 2D support into the PDF export so you won't need a separate printer driver in the future. This work is moving ahead actively now. It was not an oversight, it just takes a bit of work to develop the 2D interface that will work in an integrated fashion with the 3D PDF capability versus doing it like a printer driver. We just didn't want to delay the 3D PDF to wait on the 2D output, no expend resources duplicating a printer driver when so many free ones are out there.

I know it would been better to have everything in the first release but I just wanted you all to know it is coming and it will be a nicely integrated 2D and 3D solution soon.

-Greg