What's new

alibre design best way to copy all files (3d and 2d)

ROTTER

I have been using Alibre for over 10 years and recently I realized that the backup copies of projects that I make are not copies in any sense.
Alibre gives the possibility to make a copy of model 3D in an easy way – and that works.
I was looking on the forum, I was asking my technical support how to make a copy of 2D drawing documentation. There is only one answer – Alibre does not give the possibility to make the copy of drawing documentation. I got the advice to register all drawings on a multi-sheet file but such drawing is hard in use (system slows down) and can not be used in more complex projects since you can add only single BOM.
The copy of the general assembly drawing made by the packing tool is defective because you can not say where its Constituents are placed. It is easy to check that the original Constituents (RMB) are in the original catalogue and the copy Constituents are not in the copy catalogue but in some awkward place – please take a look at the attachment.
To summarize: when you have the standard documentation format (general assembly drawing and on it its BOM, assembly drawings and on them their BOM and, finally, detailed drawings ) you can not make a spare copy of such project.
After making the copy you get spilled BOM and question marks in ballon. All the drawings for the spare copy has to be corrected manually – in fact you have to make new drawings, from the start. Often it happens that the dimensions are no longer attached.
I think that vast majority of Alibre users is not aware that they have only original documentation. In case of disk failure they will not have any copy of 2D documentation and it will have to be made form the start. In my opinion this situation is critical and Alibre team shoul cope with this as soon as possible. Or maybe there is a way to make a spare copy (where Constituents are in the copy catalogue) – but I don’t know it. In such case – please advise how should I proceed.

Attachments

• Assembly and Constituents (Oryginal).pdf
    254.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Assembly and Constituents (Backup).pdf
    386.2 KB · Views: 13
I have been using Alibre for over 10 years and recently I realized that the backup copies of projects that I make are not copies in any sense.
My take on this starts with how I organize Projects. I have a "top Project Directory" into which everything goes. Thus, immediately "beneath" my "Project Directory" I have a set of Directories generally laid out as: Installation, Common Hardware, Reference Specifications, and the like. "Beneath" my "Installation Directory" will be sub-Directories for each primary Assembly. Within my "Project Directory" will be such things as: my spreadsheet Document Number identity system, my spreadsheet Parts List database, as well as my Project-level statements of "Requirements" and the like.

Similar "lists" exist for the "Sub-Assembly" directories, "Sub-Sub-Assemblies" etc. though all the supporting Part files along with all supporting Documentation needed to support the design. Thus a "Zip" (and I use "7-zip") archive collects all files for a Project in the appropriate Directory structure ad include all "Project Documentation" in one single archive file.

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
My take on this starts with how I organize Projects. .......

That's a well organized system Lew, but to Rotters point, when you extract the zipped project (recreating the the directory tree) do all of the linkages always stay intact? Of particular concern are the BOMs and AD_DRW files.
Most experienced AD users are aware that copying files using windows copying methods may not always maintain linkages between _ASMs, _PRTs and _DRWs and I assume that this is causing Rotter's problems
I (mostly) get away with it because I keep identical directory structures on the three computers I use, from the root down thru the project subdirectory level. Even with that I occasionaly have missing designs requiring me to replace files when the assembly is loaded .

It would be nice if there was a configurable AD_PKG function that would package ALL the files relevent to a particular project...though I cant quite visualize how it would be implemented.

That's a well organized system Lew, but to Rotters point, when you extract the zipped project (recreating the the directory tree) do all of the linkages always stay intact? Of particular concern are the BOMs and AD_DRW files.

It would be nice if there was a configurable AD_PKG function that would package ALL the files relevent to a particular project...though I cant quite visualize how it would be implemented.
Jim -- Archived the way I describe maintains (nearly) all Model and Drawing relationships (except the well-known "dimension" issue). I admit that as somebody who has to document things to meet DCASS requirements, I do not use the BoM approach (instead maintaining the MIL-Q-9858 Parts List approach). Thus I have no clue how this works with BoM files.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Lew, Your method only works if the files can't find matching links to their original locations on the machine. Let me elaborate:
If you copy an Alibre Assembly file and its Parts using Windows Explorer to another folder on the same machine.
And then you open that Copy Assembly.
It will first look for its Parts in their Original location when loading.
So any changes made to the Parts while inside that Copy Assembly will change the Original Parts.
And any changes to the Copy Parts will not show up in the Copy Assembly.

I thought this was in the Alibre Help file but I couldn't find it.

Maybe @Max can confirm.

Lew, Your method only works if the files can't find matching links to their original locations on the machine. Let me elaborate:
Hi Nate -- I create "Project Directories" as described. When "7-zip" that Directory (and all SubDirectories thereto) the relative File Path "linkage" seems to be maintained. When I (if you will) "Un7zip" the archive the relative File Path "connections" work.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Right click on an assembly and check it's constituents to see where it expects (and looks first) to find the files.

Being extremely careful can prevent the problems, but let's face it - users can't prevent problems they don't know they could have.

jfleming

Alibre Super User
Being extremely careful can prevent the problems, but let's face it - users can't prevent problems they don't know they could have.

That's the biggest issue right there. If it weren't for this forum I would have many un-answered questions and frustrations with certain aspects of the software.